3149Re: [TexasCzechs] Help in translating

  • Lois Petter Pereira
    Jan 2, 2001
      I am learning a lot. Stolar literally means table maker in Czech while truhlar means chest maker. In essence carpenter would fit in our modern times. They used more precise terms in Cz. I was also told Otakar is a surname. The most famous Czech Premysl's King was Otakar. This little project is teaching me something also.....lois

      Diana Proud wrote:

      If Otakar is a first name, could it have become Oscar?

      Diana Proud

      Matias, Matijas, Matijeas, Matnas

        catspa37@... wrote:

      According to Mourek's Old Bohemian Dictionary, a *stolar* is a carpenter
      and *Otakar* is a first name.
      A Reznicek

      From: Lois Petter Pereira
      Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 08:50:15 -0600
      Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Help in translating

      I am making an index to all the names of the book, Ëmigration to Texas
      from the Mistek District", and I am running into translation problems.
      Stolar and Otakar appears to be occupations. I found most of the words
      in the Czech dictionary on line but not these 2. I also need help in
      translating names.
      Otmar
      Bohumir
      Vladimir
      Albin
      Cenek
      Vojteck
      Ignac
      Bozena
      Jedrich
      L ibuse
      Petrolina

      Lois Petter Pereira
      Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges, Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel, Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz, Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan, Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic