3140Re: [TexasCzechs] Help in translating

  • Diana Proud
    Jan 2, 2001

      If Otakar is a first name, could it have become Oscar?

      Diana Proud

      Matias, Matijas, Matijeas, Matnas

        catspa37@... wrote:

      According to Mourek's Old Bohemian Dictionary, a *stolar* is a carpenter
      and *Otakar* is a first name.
      A Reznicek

      From: Lois Petter Pereira
      Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 08:50:15 -0600
      Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Help in translating

      I am making an index to all the names of the book, �migration to Texas
      from the Mistek District", and I am running into translation problems.
      Stolar and Otakar appears to be occupations. I found most of the words
      in the Czech dictionary on line but not these 2. I also need help in
      translating names.
      Otmar
      Bohumir
      Vladimir
      Albin
      Cenek
      Vojteck
      Ignac
      Bozena
      Jedrich
      Libuse
      Petrolina
      Now some of these names sound German or Russian to me and I guess that's
      why they aren't in the dictionary. Any help anyone? I promise to share
      once I am done.....This book is my bible and it seems to be the case
      with most Fayette Co. Czechs. I feel the index will be helpful and it
      certainly will not take away from buying the book. It will list what
      page to find the name on and parents and spouses names if known. Just
      another tool for a quicker looker upper.........lois

      Richard Garza wrote:

      > Hi Lois,
      > stolar, see truhlar=cabinet maker
      > as to otakar, perhaps a native speaker knows this word.
      > Can you tell us in what context you found these words?
      > Rick Garza
      >

      > On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 20:44:54 -0600 Lois Petter Pereira
      > writes:
      > > I need to know the meanings of these words:
      > > stolar with an hacek over the r.
      > > and otakar
      > > I found the rest on the on-line dictionary but not these.
      > > Thanks....lois
      > >
      > > --
      > > Lois Petter Pereira
      > > Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges,
      > > Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel,
      > > Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen,
      > > Papiz,
      > > Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan,
      > > Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

      > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      >
      > eGroups Sponsor
      [Click Here!]

      Lois Petter Pereira
      Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz,
      Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

      Do You Yahoo!?