3125Re: [TexasCzechs] Help in translating

  • J.D.K. Chipps
    Jan 1, 2001
      My dad's name was "Albin", which became americanized to "Alvin", and my
      grandfather was called "Jedrich", which became "Henry", if that helps.

      Good luck

      Lois Petter Pereira wrote:

      > I am making an index to all the names of the book, Ă‹migration to Texas
      > from the Mistek District", and I am running into translation problems.
      > Stolar and Otakar appears to be occupations. I found most of the words
      > in the Czech dictionary on line but not these 2. I also need help in
      > translating names.
      > Otmar
      > Bohumir
      > Vladimir
      > Albin
      > Cenek
      > Vojteck
      > Ignac
      > Bozena
      > Jedrich
      > Libuse
      > Petrolina
      > Now some of these names sound German or Russian to me and I guess
      > that's why they aren't in the dictionary. Any help anyone? I promise
      > to share once I am done.....This book is my bible and it seems to be
      > the case with most Fayette Co. Czechs. I feel the index will be
      > helpful and it certainly will not take away from buying the book. It
      > will list what page to find the name on and parents and spouses names
      > if known. Just another tool for a quicker looker upper.........lois
      >
      > Richard Garza wrote:
      >
      > > Hi Lois,
      > > stolar, see truhlar=cabinet maker
      > > as to otakar, perhaps a native speaker knows this word.
      > > Can you tell us in what context you found these words?
      > > Rick Garza
      > >

      > > On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 20:44:54 -0600 Lois Petter Pereira
      > > <epereira@...> writes:
      > > > I need to know the meanings of these words:
      > > > stolar with an hacek over the r.
      > > > and otakar
      > > > I found the rest on the on-line dictionary but not these.
      > > > Thanks....lois
      > > >
      > > > --
      > > > Lois Petter Pereira
      > > > Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges,
      > >
      > > > Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel,
      > >
      > > > Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen,
      > > > Papiz,
      > > > Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan,
      > > > Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban,
      > > Weiser

      > --
      > Lois Petter Pereira
      > Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges,
      > Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel,
      > Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz,
      > Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan,
      > Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

      --
      ARANDELING,ARMSTRONG,BLAZEK,BOWNE,BUCKMASTER,BURDG,BURDGE,CHAPIN
      DALRYMPLE,DERELL,GODFREY,HARBOUR,HOLBROOK,KAMENCAK,KINGMAN