28463Re: [TexasCzechs] Please translate!

  • Joe
    Oct 29, 2005
      Dolores, you are absolutely correct. Jak se mate is the proper form
      to show respect to an elder or someone in authority such as a priest,
      even though jak se mate is the plural form. You should always use
      the plural form, vy, when addressing an elder instead of the singular
      form, ty.

      Joe

      On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 22:04:50 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

      >Andrea, You may be correct, however, I think yak se mate is to show respect to a priest, pastor or an older person. It is plural. Young folks like us (ha--ha) just get the singular jak se mas. I will check with my Czech friend to be sure. My friend wants to join the Texas Czechs and I can't remember.
      >

      >Dolores Miller
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic