28456Re: Please translate!

  • carlgenlnrt
    Oct 28, 2005
      Merriam-Webster online dictionary defines "Bohunk"

      Main Entry: bo┬Ěhunk
      Pronunciation: 'bO-"h&[ng]k
      Function: noun
      Etymology: Bohemian + Hunk person of central European descent, by
      shortening & alteration of Hungarian usually disparaging : a person
      of central European descent or birth

      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Dolores Miller
      <texassanta5@y...> wrote:

      > Sylvia,
      > I was taught by my immigrant parents, one Czech and one Polish,
      that Bohunk was a disrespectal term as was Polak and Spic. I was
      never allowed to use these terms. I prefer this greeting: vi tam
      vas, jak se mate. It means: I greet you and how are you. I don't
      remember how to spell in Czech.so the spelling may be off.

      > Dolores
      >
      > sylviajean12@c... wrote:
      > I am Czech, not "Bphunk" but to me it says:
      >
      > I wish you a nice day and from Waco well-wishes.
      >
      > SYLVIA LAZNOVSKY
      >
      > Remember: You can alway set your account to Digest Mode for less
      mail.

      Service.