23583Obituary of Emil "Al" Hessler

  • Matt Cross
    Sep 1, 2004
      Obituary of Emil "Al" Hessler
      Victoria Advocate Online

      Emil Alvin "al" Hessler

      September 1, 2004

      Emil Alvin "Al" Hessler, age 68, of Victoria passed away Sunday, August 29,
      2004. He was born December 21, 1935 in Nixon, Texas, the son of Emil & Ann
      Steffek Hessler. He graduated from Sacred Heart High School in Hallettsville
      in 1954 and Baldwin Business College in 1955. He married Patricia Ann "Pat"
      Haas May 3, 1958.

      He was the manager of Texas Lumber Company and the owner/operator of Oak
      Ridge Homes. He served in the National Guard from 1954 until 1965 and was
      promoted to Lieutenant in 1961. He was a member of Our Lady of Victory
      Catholic Cathedral. He was a member of the Knights of St. Gregory; the Serra
      Club; he served on the board of Our Lady of Victory School from 1981 until
      1986; he was a present board member of St. Joseph High School; He served on
      the Diocese of Victoria Building Board; and he received an apostolic
      blessing from Pope John Paul II. He also served as an Eucharistic Minister
      at Our Lady of Victory Cathedral.

      He is survived by his wife Patricia A. Haas "Pat" Hessler of Victoria,
      daughters Jennifer Hessler; Charlotte Bethke and husband Doye of Victoria.
      Sons Russell and wife Billie Hessler and Chris and wife Stephanie Hessler
      also of Victoria. Grandchildren Erin Hessler, Ryan Hessler, Kori Hessler,
      Amy Hessler, Kasi Bethke and Emilee Bethke.

      One brother James Hessler of Summerville and one sister Bernice Marek of
      Hallettsville.

      He was preceded in death by his parents and one grandson Michael Adam
      Hessler.

      The rosary was recited Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. at Our Lady of Victory
      Cathedral. The Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated 10 a.m.
      Wednesday, September 1, 2004 at Our Lady of Victory Cathedral with Most
      Reverend David Fellhauer and Monsignor Michael Harrold officiating. Burial
      will follow at Resurrection Cemetery.

      Memorials may be made to St. Joseph High School, Serra Club, Our Lady of
      Victory Building Fund or toward the youth building at the Spiritual Renewal
      Center.

      Pallbearers are Dwaine Hessler, Jerome A. Haas, Donald Gore, Steve Volkmer,
      Chris Krecji, Henry Janak, Richard Scheibelhut and Chris Korinek.

      Honorary pallbearers will be members of the Serra Club and Bill McArdle,
      principal & board members of St. Joseph High School.

      Colonial Funeral Home 1801 E. Red River is in charge of arrangements.