22791Re: [TexasCzechs] Genealogy Book Recommendations, Prosím

  • J.D. Kotrla-Chipps
    May 6, 2004
      Best way to start is to write down everything you already know, and
      you'll surprise yourself with how much that is. Parents, aunts, uncles,
      cousins, grandparents, grandaunts and uncles, second cousins, etc.

      I definitely recommend a genealogy program, but some are better than
      others. I prefer RootsMagic, (http://www.rootsmagic.com). A new
      version is just now being released.

      I'd avoid paying for information, as most of it is a scam. Research in
      Czechoslovakia will cost, and I'd go with recommendations from the list
      here on people that are reputable. But that's "on down the road". For
      now, fill in as much information as you already know, and talk to as
      many living relatives as you can. They too will "remember" more than
      they think they do once they get started.

      I started off, much like yourself, a little over 15 years ago, and
      didn't think I knew much at all, but lo and behold, I remembered more
      than I thought, my sister helped with that which I had forgotten, and
      then aunts and uncles started popping up, and family bibles, and
      newspaper articles, (mostly obits) with more names, and today, I have a
      database of over 8,000 relatives. You will too, and it's a great legacy
      to leave your family. I wish someone had done all of this before
      everyone died off, a lot has been lost forever. But I've been able to
      preserve much more that would have been lost in a few more generations.

      Like I say, it's a great legacy to leave behind, and it's a very
      rewarding process. Family reunions are great fun, and much information
      can be gathered, be sure and find out if, and where one is. Or start
      one yourself. Good way to "meet the family" living and dead.

      Good luck, you will enjoy your search, I guarantee. It's a great
      experience!

      http://woptura.com/buffalo.html
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic