15592Re: [TexasCzechs] Death notice of John Zapalac (and other things)

  • george patrick
    Sep 1, 2002
      Hi Jan,
      Sorry to say that I haven't had time to do much research related to the
      Zapalac family. Most of what I know comes from a cousin and his wife,
      Martin and Dorothy Stepan from the Ft. Worth area. Martin is a 4th
      generation Martin Stepan in America. His grandfather and my grandmother
      were brother and sister.

      According to the Stepans, the original Martin Stepan married Rozalive
      Zapalac in Morivia and they, along with Martin's sister and a couple of
      children, immigrated to America in 1855, settling in Washington County, Tx.
      Martin and Rozalive are buried in Wesley Cemetery.

      I found on the Galveston Immigration website a passenger list for the Von
      Vinek, sailing from Bremin to Galveston and arriving June 14, 1855,
      passenger names of Martin Stephen (note misspelling), ie, Stephan rather
      than Stepan, and, John Zapalates (note misspelling), Zapalates rather than
      Zapalac. John brought 7 family with him and Martin brought 5 family members
      with him. The arrival dates coincide with the ship records and I am
      convinced that either the German crew misspelled the names because of the
      language barrier or else the families were traveling under names other than
      their own because of the restrictions on travel which had not yet been
      loosened by Austria. Food for thought?

      Other than this, Most of the rest is things I have collected from postings
      by our own Tex/Czechs E-friends.

      If you find anything interesting, let me know.

      George