12441Re: [TexasCzechs] Texas Czech Demonstrations

  • Mary Holy
    Mar 2, 2002
      Joe
      Yes, I am Evelyn's daughter. After I think about it, I believe I remember
      you coming with them a few times. I don't remember your dad real well, but
      I remember your mom. I always thought she had a real strong Czech accent.
      But of course my Starenka spoke mainly Czech, I really don't remember
      saying any English. My Staricek spoke mainly Czech with a little English.
      Most of the time my mom would tell us what they said, if they thought we
      needed to know. I guess the reason my mom and dad didn't teach us Czech,
      was because when Mom started to school, she only knew how to speak Czech.
      She had a hard time learning English when she started to school. We did
      learn a little Czech.

      I remember them playing "42" and "Straight". We always had to be quite, if
      we where visiting. They had two rocking chairs in the back bedroom, that
      where always brought into the living room, when they had company, to play
      "42" and "Straight". I now own one of those special rocking chairs.

      Mary (Soukup) Holy

      > >Joe
      > >What a small world. Joe Petter was my (Staricek) grandfather.
      >
      > You must be Evelyn's daughter? Small world. Mother and daddy used to
      > play a lot of "42' and "Straight" with Joe and Anna when we lived
      > near Abbott.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Joe
      > http://www.geocities.com/goodolejoe