CSX Virginia-Florida Route Chosen As "Transportation Corridor Of The Future"

  • paulmangelsdorf
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2007
      From Progressive Railroading NEWS LISTINGSSITE HOME

      5/31/2007 Key Corridors
      USDOT Selects CSXT's Virginia-Florida Route as One of 14
      Transportation Corridors of the Future

      The U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) recently chose CSX
      Transportation's I-95 corridor as one of 14 finalists for a "Corridor
      of the Future" program.

      A component of the USDOT's transportation congestion reduction
      strategy formulated in May 2006, the program aims to identify key
      transportation corridors. The agency will select up to five Corridors
      of the Future in summer.

      CSXT has established a long-term plan to address increasing passenger
      and freight traffic on the 1,200-mile I-95 corridor between
      Washington, D.C., and Miami. As part of its capital spending budgets
      of $1.5 billion in 2007, $1.6 billion in both 2008 and 2009, and $1.7
      billion in 2010, the railroad will build and improve track and
      facilities along the route.

      "We believe the corridor will serve as an example of how well-
      planned, comprehensive investment in rail infrastructure can support
      personal mobility and economic development, while improving safety
      and environmental practices," said CSXT Executive Vice President and
      Chief Operating Officer Tony Ingram in a prepared statement.