Tesla Pump

  • nailzer
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 8, 2003
      Here is the start of my Tesla pump project. The shaft is roughed to
      about .050" of finish. It took me all 30 minutes of my lunch break
      to get it this far. I was supposed to get the bearing today but the
      guy from the bearing place never showed up. The washers will be
      drilled for 5 .1562" holes. I figure I'll have .248 space between
      the washers not counting what area spacers take, so the hole size in
      the washers should allow plenty of air in.
      http://community.webshots.com/photo/84842458/84843653WISHjI
    • nailzer
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 9, 2003
        --- In TeslaTurbine@yahoogroups.com, "nailzer" <nailzer@y...> wrote:
        > Here is the start of my Tesla pump project. The shaft is roughed
        > about .050" of finish. It took me all 30 minutes of my lunch break
        > to get it this far. I was supposed to get the bearing today but
        the
        > guy from the bearing place never showed up. The washers will be
        > drilled for 5 .1562" holes. I figure I'll have .248 space between
        > the washers not counting what area spacers take, so the hole size
        in
        > the washers should allow plenty of air in.
        > http://community.webshots.com/photo/84842458/84843653WISHjI

        Oops that should be 6 .1562" holes
      • Arnold Anderson
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 10, 2003
          I have never built a tesla turbibne but my reading
          indicates that your spacing between blades is large,
          the turbine works on boundary layer effect in other
          words it is the molecular adhesion that takes place as
          the fluid is forced past the blades that make them
          turn. if the space between blades is too large your
          efficiency will be very low.

          Arnold

          ---------------------------------
          <nailzer@y...> wrote:
          > Here is the start of my Tesla pump project. The
          shaft is roughed
          > about .050" of finish. It took me all 30 minutes of
          my lunch break
          > to get it this far. I was supposed to get the
          bearing today but
          the
          > guy from the bearing place never showed up. The
          washers will be
          > drilled for 5 .1562" holes. I figure I'll have .248
          space between
          > the washers not counting what area spacers take, so
          the hole size
          in
          > the washers should allow plenty of air in.

          http://community.webshots.com/photo/84842458/84843653WISHjI

          Oops that should be 6 .1562" holes

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          Terms of Service.

        • nailzer
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 10, 2003
            I've read that Tesla used anywhere from .017" to .125" disk spacing
            in turbines and pumps. I've never came across any formula how wide
            the space between the disks should be. The washers I'm using
            are .050" thick. Four will be turned down as spacers. I'll probably
            have to do some adjustments between the inlet, outlet size and disk
            spacing for optimum performance.

            --- In TeslaTurbine@yahoogroups.com, Arnold Anderson <caaan1ca@y...>
            wrote:
            > I have never built a tesla turbibne but my reading
            > indicates that your spacing between blades is large,
            > the turbine works on boundary layer effect in other
            > words it is the molecular adhesion that takes place as
            > the fluid is forced past the blades that make them
            > turn. if the space between blades is too large your
            > efficiency will be very low.
            >
            > Arnold
            >

            > --- nailzer <nailzer@y...> wrote:
            > ---------------------------------
            > --- In TeslaTurbine@yahoogroups.com, "nailzer"
            > <nailzer@y...> wrote:
            > > Here is the start of my Tesla pump project. The
            > shaft is roughed
            > > about .050" of finish. It took me all 30 minutes of
            > my lunch break
            > > to get it this far. I was supposed to get the
            > bearing today but
            > the
            > > guy from the bearing place never showed up. The
            > washers will be
            > > drilled for 5 .1562" holes. I figure I'll have .248
            > space between
            > > the washers not counting what area spacers take, so
            > the hole size
            > in
            > > the washers should allow plenty of air in.
            > >
            > http://community.webshots.com/photo/84842458/84843653WISHjI
            >
            > Oops that should be 6 .1562" holes
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            > Terms of Service.

            _
          • Schmidt Family
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 10, 2003
              I did a water pump a few years ago and played a little with disk
              spacing. Unfortunately I was unable to test under load (i.e.. run
              against a valve to tell pressure it would develop). I tested at .03,
              .06 and .09 gap size. With a fixed housing size, the number is disks
              went from 9 to 7 to 5 as gap size increased. With a .09 thick gap
              volumetric efficiency dropped off. With the .03 and .06 spacing, the
              flows through the pump stayed fairly consistent. I'm not sure what
              would happen if I were to choke the outlet with something. I imagine
              the .03 spacing would drop off more slowly that the .06. Just some
              thoughts.

              Keith

            • nailzer
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 11, 2003
                At the start of this project I wanted to have the disk pack inlet
                hole sizes larger then the overall space in the disk pack gaps. For
                a pump it seemed the most logical to not have a restriction there.
                Did you try different speeds by either motor voltage or pulley sizes?

                --- In TeslaTurbine@yahoogroups.com, Schmidt Family <ksmk93@b...>

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                > > .

              • Louis E. Wetmore
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 11, 2003
                  My understanding is that the 'boundry layer' is
                  approx. .020. Assuming one layer per each side of the
                  disk, your max. spacing then would be .040 for highest
                  efficiency. Most papaers I've read suggest .030-.035.

                  Edman

                  http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                • Ian Main
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 11, 2003
                    A fellow just posted this link, but I'll post it for you again
                    as it has info on spacing (on pages 3 & 4).

                    http://www.sredmond.com/disk_turbine.htm

                    Glad to see someone else building one! Best of luck to you :)
                    I hope to start on one some time too but have a lot of things
                    going on right now.

                    Ian

                    On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 02:15:13AM -0000, nailzer wrote:
                    > I've read that Tesla used anywhere from .017" to .125" disk spacing
                    > in turbines and pumps. I've never came across any formula how wide
                    > the space between the disks should be. The washers I'm using
                    > are .050" thick. Four will be turned down as spacers. I'll probably
                    > have to do some adjustments between the inlet, outlet size and disk
                    > spacing for optimum performance.
                    >

                    > --- In TeslaTurbine@yahoogroups.com, Arnold Anderson <caaan1ca@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > I have never built a tesla turbibne but my reading
                    > > indicates that your spacing between blades is large,
                    > > the turbine works on boundary layer effect in other
                    > > words it is the molecular adhesion that takes place as
                    > > the fluid is forced past the blades that make them
                    > > turn. if the space between blades is too large your
                    > > efficiency will be very low.
                    > >
                    > > Arnold
                    > >

                    > > --- nailzer <nailzer@y...> wrote:
                    > > ---------------------------------
                    > > --- In TeslaTurbine@yahoogroups.com, "nailzer"
                    > > <nailzer@y...> wrote:
                    > > > Here is the start of my Tesla pump project. The
                    > > shaft is roughed
                    > > > about .050" of finish. It took me all 30 minutes of
                    > > my lunch break
                    > > > to get it this far. I was supposed to get the
                    > > bearing today but
                    > > the
                    > > > guy from the bearing place never showed up. The
                    > > washers will be
                    > > > drilled for 5 .1562" holes. I figure I'll have .248
                    > > space between
                    > > > the washers not counting what area spacers take, so
                    > > the hole size
                    > > in
                    > > > the washers should allow plenty of air in.
                    > > >
                    > > http://community.webshots.com/photo/84842458/84843653WISHjI
                    > >
                    > > Oops that should be 6 .1562" holes
                    > >

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    > > Terms of Service.

                  • nailzer
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 11, 2003
                      I think after reading the formula on that site I'll face off .005"
                      of the face off the washers just below the holes for a .010" gap.
                      I'm going to use the dreaded keyway and key to hold everything in
                      place, so I'll make a sleeve that I can hold the washers one at a
                      time on the shaft so I can face them.

                    • Ian Main
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 11, 2003
                        From all I've read.. basically the smaller the gap the better
                        'stick' you should get from your fluid, and hence, higher efficiency.
                        However, a larger gap allows you to pump more volume so there's a
                        trade off there.

                        It's odd in that site he talks about laminar flow but never mentions
                        the boundary layer, which is (in theory) why this device operates
                        so well... However, I've seen mentions of that formula before and
                        think it's pretty sound theory.

                        I forget what you said your diameter will be.. I have some formulas
                        that can tell you roughly what kind of pressure to expect based on
                        the diameter of the runners, mass of the fluid, and RPM.

                        I think a Tesla pump would work pretty well for pumping water. You
                        won't get much pressure difference with air though as it is fairly
                        low mass. You would need a very high RPM and large runners to
                        get reasonable pressure (depending what you are after I guess).

                        Tesla used it to pump mercury, which is obviously very high mass.
                        I suspect for that it would work very well.

                        Ian

                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 11, 2003
                          This is my first attempt making a Tesla pump and I'm using
                          everything scrap or free that I can find. It's built in a 2" set
                          collar. I'm trying to stay within $10-$15. I eventually want to make
                          a compressor to work with a vortex tube. Maybe this one if it works.

                          --- In TeslaTurbine@yahoogroups.com, Ian Main <ian3@s...> wrote:
                          > From all I've read.. basically the smaller the gap the better
                          > 'stick' you should get from your fluid, and hence, higher
                          efficiency.
                          > However, a larger gap allows you to pump more volume so there's a
                          > trade off there.
                          >
                          > It's odd in that site he talks about laminar flow but never
                          mentions
                          > the boundary layer, which is (in theory) why this device operates
                          > so well... However, I've seen mentions of that formula before and
                          > think it's pretty sound theory.
                          >
                          > I forget what you said your diameter will be.. I have some formulas
                          > that can tell you roughly what kind of pressure to expect based on
                          > the diameter of the runners, mass of the fluid, and RPM.
                          >
                          > I think a Tesla pump would work pretty well for pumping water. You
                          > won't get much pressure difference with air though as it is fairly
                          > low mass. You would need a very high RPM and large runners to
                          > get reasonable pressure (depending what you are after I guess).
                          >
                          > Tesla used it to pump mercury, which is obviously very high mass.
                          > I suspect for that it would work very well.
                          >
                          > Ian
                          >
                          > On Aug 11, 2003 at 09:25:05PM -0000, nailzer wrote:
                          > > I think after reading the formula on that site I'll face
                          off .005"
                          > > of the face off the washers just below the holes for a .010"
                          gap.
                          > > I'm going to use the dreaded keyway and key to hold everything
                          in
                          > > place, so I'll make a sleeve that I can hold the washers one at
                          > > time on the shaft so I can face them.
                          > >
                          > > --- In TeslaTurbine@yahoogroups.com, Ian Main <ian3@s...> wrote:
                          > > > A fellow just posted this link, but I'll post it for you again
                          > > > as it has info on spacing (on pages 3 & 4).
                          > > >
                          > > > http://www.sredmond.com/disk_turbine.htm
                          > > >
                          > > > Glad to see someone else building one! Best of luck to you :)
                          > > > I hope to start on one some time too but have a lot of things
                          > > > going on right now.
                          > > >
                          > > > Ian

                        • david
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 11, 2003
                            do you have plans that tell you how build a metal working lathe like the one shown in picture?

                          • nailzer
                            Message 13 of 14 , Aug 12, 2003
                              Go to http://www.lindsaybks.com/. You can order the Dave Gingery
                              book on how to build your own lathe. You also need Gingery's
                              book "The Charcoal Foundry" because you have to cast your own parts.
                              Make sure you get a Lindsay book catalog.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 12, 2003
                                No but they are from the gingery books:

                                http://www.enginebooks.com/searchbooks.cgi?input_string=david+gingery&input_mode=books

                                Ian