Re: Digest Number 406

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 12, 2003
      Paul,

      Designing the air pump follow some of the following.

      1. Inlet to out let radius should be 3:1,

      2. The exit area of the volute should be calculated to be the
      maximum CFM you wish the air pump to have and the area is determiend
      by the air velocity at the exit which is about 75% (est.) of the
      outer tip speed of the disk pack you are using.

      3. Disk spacing from .018 through .050 will be within 75% of each
      other for efficentcy.

      4. Back presure capability is just the mass x velocity / area of your
      exit volute.

      How many disks is a bit harder to calculate but relate to the volume
      of air you wish to move and will take a little hit and miss. Try
      using .025 spacings and disk width then skip disks if the air flow is
      too low, make the out let orfice varible of adjustable. You most
      likely are looking at a 8" or more disk size.

      Dave

      --- In TeslaTurbine@yahoogroups.com, "Paul & Patricia Bartlett"