Re: [TeslaTurbine] Compressed CO2 TT

  • Chuck
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 7, 2002
      How does a Tesla Turbine compare with a air motor?
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 8, 2002
        Mark remember to consider the temp of Co2 under pressure it can get
        very cold and Cds are only plastic. If at all possible try to locate
        a very old Hard drive it will work better because it is metal and
        spaced already . Lee
        --- In TeslaTurbine@y..., "a123x86" <a123x@a...> wrote:
        > I'm just starting to design a small TT for compressed CO2. I still
        > need to learn more about TT but for now I was wondering if its
        sound
        > to consider using CD's as the runner, spaced about a CD's thickness
        > apart. I was thinking about 12 runners.
        >
        > Mark
      • a123x86
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 9, 2002
          That sounds pretty good. I think I might try that for the disks.

          Mark

          --- In TeslaTurbine@y..., "doclnemo" <doclnemo@y...> wrote:
          > Mark remember to consider the temp of Co2 under pressure it can
          get
          > very cold and Cds are only plastic. If at all possible try to
          locate
          > a very old Hard drive it will work better because it is metal and
          > spaced already . Lee
        • fred mcgalliard
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 9, 2002
            But don't forget that the disk spacing is a bit wider than you want, so
            there is going to be a lot of bypass.

            >From: "a123x86" <a123x@...>
            >To: TeslaTurbine@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [TeslaTurbine] Re: Compressed CO2 TT
            >Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 16:00:38 -0000
            >
            >That sounds pretty good. I think I might try that for the disks.
            >
            >Mark
            >

            >--- In TeslaTurbine@y..., "doclnemo" <doclnemo@y...> wrote:
            > > Mark remember to consider the temp of Co2 under pressure it can
            >get
            > > very cold and Cds are only plastic. If at all possible try to
            >locate
            > > a very old Hard drive it will work better because it is metal and
            > > spaced already . Lee

          • a123x86
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 9, 2002
              Thinking of that, does any one know any good pages about designing a
              Tesla Turbine? Like info on choosing the disk materials and spacing
              the disks according to the fluid being used. I haven't found any
              websites that have good information for how to design one.

              Mark

              --- In TeslaTurbine@y..., "fred mcgalliard" <fbmcgalliard@h...> wrote:
              > But don't forget that the disk spacing is a bit wider than you
              want, so
              > there is going to be a lot of bypass.
              >

              > >From: "a123x86" <a123x@a...>
              > >To: TeslaTurbine@y...
              > >Subject: [TeslaTurbine] Re: Compressed CO2 TT
              > >Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 16:00:38 -0000
              > >
              > >That sounds pretty good. I think I might try that for the disks.
              > >
              > >Mark
              > >

              > >--- In TeslaTurbine@y..., "doclnemo" <doclnemo@y...> wrote:
              > > > Mark remember to consider the temp of Co2 under pressure it can
              > >get
              > > > very cold and Cds are only plastic. If at all possible try to
              > >locate
              > > > a very old Hard drive it will work better because it is metal
              and
              > > > spaced already . Lee

            • Chuck
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 10, 2002
                Does anyone know what a air motor is?
                > How does a Tesla Turbine compare with a air motor?

              • tuckert15
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 17, 2002
                  All,

                  Two things:

                  1) You will need to cut a notch in your shaft and disks and install a
                  key to prevent slip. Doesn't have to be very big, but should be on
                  each side (i.e. 180 deg) to avoid imbalance.

                  2) If I were making one, I would look for some strong sheet metal
                  that is flat, and a sheet metal shop that already has a punch of the
                  needed diameter. It would be easy to have a square yard or two
                  punched into the necessary round disks. Then machine out the center,
                  and vent holes, etc.

                  Steel is superior to plastic which is likely to fly apart if left un-
                  loaded and reved up to full RPM.

                  Cheers,

                  Tom