Re: [TeslaTurbine] Digest Number 228

  • Sean Payne
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002
      I believe the problem can be overcome by gradually increasing the
      amount/speed/volume of air directed at the discs. I had problems when I
      directed too much air at once, but most of my problem was that the discs'
      press-fit would slip out of alignment when the discs spun unequally.
      Anyway, don't just blast the air on the discs; gradually increase the flow
      until you're at top pressure/top speed.

      Sean Payne

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2002
        Mike
        You can get a cd tesla working dirty and cheap by friction mounting or
        glueing it on a pipe peppered with small holes in the area with the disk
        pack and using bits of plastic glued near the I.D. for spacers. But
        remember 12,000 rpm max and that's only if you don't have any stress
        from the friction mounting. Saves trying to machine balanced holes in
        the cds that aren't very machineable. I think it was 99503 bearings
        that fit the shaft. Pretty standard and 2-3$ ea but take off one shield
        wash out any grease and put in light machine oil.(or you can rob them
        out of old car alternators.) Ps don't use crazy glue to mount the disks
        as it has almost no shear strength. You can make a good enough volute
        from cereal boxes or even better crazy carpet plastic.
        Paul Bartlett