Re: [TeslaTurbine] my first

  • neil mackay
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 1988
      The Chinese have a saying. "The greater journey begins with a single step"
      My first efforts were a total failure. Neil
    • Mike Passerotti
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 27, 2002
        I made my first runner this week. I made it out of CDs. Spacers between
        disks are hubs cut from other CDs. I mounted a piece of 1/2" cpvc pipe in a
        drill press and sanded it down so it would fit inside the CD center. That
        was the first bad idea. To mount the cpvc in the chuck I had to put a dowel
        rod in the cpvc, which didn't fit right. So I had to mount the dowel rod in
        the drill press and sand it down a little. Then the cpvc slipped onto the
        dowel rod so I could sand down the cpvc. I had some trouble with wobble but
        the cpvc seemed to do well enough. I cut pvc schedule 40 to press the
        runner layers together, which is a bad idea because the cpvc was sanded down
        too small to make a tight fit with the pvc. And the pvc cut wasn't square.
        I glued the disk pack to the cpvc with super glue (CA) and the pvc pressed
        onto the ends glued with super glue also. All seemed to be pretty usable so
        I mounted the dowel rod in the drill press in order to cut it down for the
        ID on the bearings. Bad idea. The dowel was too soft and wobled. So I
        have a wobly, unusable, piece of junk, learned much from it, disk pack on my
        desk for discussion with my coworkers.

        I know whats already published and all the examples given from this list. I
        have limited resources and limited funding so I'm having to make do. I
        really believe I can build a runner out of CDs so I'll keep going.

        #1 Gotta have a lathe to cut the shaft. I have a friend with one so I'll be
        going over there soon.

        #2 If you build it, you will know more than all you can read about it.

        I plan on using roller blade ball bearings. They won't likely last long.

        When blowing air between the disks on the runner, will disk spreading become
        a problem? Should I put pins and washers like Tesla's orginal design?

        Mike Passerotti