Air Bearings Made For Tesla Turbines?

  • tuckert15
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2002
      All,

      My bearing reseach tells me that the naturally high RPM of a TT are a
      natural match for a cushion of air, or other gas, which will offer
      minimal friction as well as zero operational friction. Simple solid
      film lubrication can be used for startup and stopping lubrication.
      Naturally, some of the bearing gas will leak into the TT and will
      have to be incorporated into the system's design.

      A magnetic or gas thrust bearing would also be appropriate for thrust

      Naturally, the runner must be perfectly balanced, like the crank
      shaft of a racing engine, in order to minimize vibration.

      Has anyone worked with air bearings before? It would be helpful to
      locate a source that would be suitable for the relatively small shaft
      sizes (e.g. 1") that we are likely to be using.

      Regards,

      Tom Tucker