Re: THIS IS A HOAX Fw: [TheTeslaTurbineList] You have been sent a virus

  • kenriznyk
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 23, 2001
      Whoever sent this message is perpetrating a HOAX - the following it
      taken from the Symantec web site -

      The following hoax email was first reported in Brazil, and the
      original email was in Portuguese. Other language versions are in
      circulation. Currently, the English language versions are most common.

      CAUTIONS:

      * This particular email message is a hoax. The file that is
      mentioned in the hoax, however, Sulfnbk.exe, is a Microsoft Windows
      utility that is used to restore long file names.

      --- In TeslaTurbine@y..., "wyzed" <wyzed@f...> wrote:
      > Hi I have inadvertently passed on a virus to you all follow the
      instructions below and delete it.
      > Neil
      >
      > This was passed on to me by a person with whom I'd had
      correspondence. Please pay attention, as I *did* find the file in
      question on my hard drive, and deleted it as directed.

      > Following are instructions for removing a virus that was
      inadvertantly
      > passed on to you from my address book, which someone else's address
      book
      > passed on to me. You would think people would have more to do than
      sit
      > around a computer trying to make life difficult for everyone else.
      >
      > PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT FOLLOW AS THE
      VIRUS IS
      > SPREAD THROUGH AN ADDRESS BOOK AND, THEREFORE, WILL NOW BE IN YOURS!
      >
      > THE VIRUS LIES DORMANT FOR 14 DAYS, THEN KILLS YOUR HARD DRIVE.
      PLEASE
      > FORWAARD THESSE DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO REMOVE IT TO EVERYONE IN YOUR
      ADDRESS
      > BOOK.
      >
      > 1. Go to start - then to "Find" or "Search"
      >
      > 2. In the Search for file or folders type in sulfnbk.exe
      >
      > 3. In the look in, make sure you are searching Drive C
      >
      > 4. Hit Search button (or find)
      >
      > 5. If this file shows up (it's an ugly blackish icon that will have
      the name
      > sulfnbk.exe) DO NOT OPEN IT
      >
      > 6. RIGHT CLICK on the file - go down to delete and left click.
      >
      > 7. Click on yes and send it to the recycle bin.
      >
      > 8. Go to your desktop (where all your icons are) and double click
      on the
      > recycle bin.
      >
      > 9. RIGHT CLICK on sulfnbk.exe and delete again - or empty bin.
      >
      > IF YOU FIND IT, YOU WILL HAVE TO SEND THIS MESSAGE TO EVERYONE IN
      YOUR