Fw: [TheTeslaTurbineList] You have been sent a virus without my knowledge

  • wyzed
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18, 2001
      Hi I have inadvertently passed on a virus to you all follow the instructions below and delete it.
      Neil

      This was passed on to me by a person with whom I'd had correspondence.  Please pay attention, as I *did* find the file in question on my hard drive, and deleted it as directed.

      Following are instructions for removing a virus that was inadvertantly
      passed on to you from my address book, which someone else's address book
      passed on to me. You would think people would have more to do than sit
      around a computer trying to make life difficult for everyone else.

      PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT FOLLOW AS THE VIRUS IS
      SPREAD THROUGH AN ADDRESS BOOK AND, THEREFORE, WILL NOW BE IN YOURS!

      THE VIRUS LIES DORMANT FOR 14 DAYS, THEN KILLS YOUR HARD DRIVE. PLEASE
      FORWAARD THESSE DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO REMOVE IT TO EVERYONE IN YOUR ADDRESS
      BOOK.

      1. Go to start - then to "Find" or "Search"

      2. In the Search for file or folders type in sulfnbk.exe

      3. In the look in, make sure you are searching Drive C

      4. Hit Search button (or find)

      5. If this file shows up (it's an ugly blackish icon that will have the name
      sulfnbk.exe) DO NOT OPEN IT

      6. RIGHT CLICK on the file - go down to delete and left click.

      7. Click on yes and send it to the recycle bin.

      8. Go to your desktop (where all your icons are) and  double click on the
      recycle bin.

      9. RIGHT CLICK on sulfnbk.exe and delete again - or  empty bin.

      IF YOU FIND IT, YOU WILL HAVE TO SEND THIS MESSAGE TO EVERYONE IN YOUR
      ADDRESS BOOK.

      To do this, click on your "To" button in compose or write and then send this
      to all.

      part of the "TheTeslaTurbineList"

    • kenriznyk
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 23, 2001
        Whoever sent this message is perpetrating a HOAX - the following it
        taken from the Symantec web site -

        The following hoax email was first reported in Brazil, and the
        original email was in Portuguese. Other language versions are in
        circulation. Currently, the English language versions are most common.

        CAUTIONS:

        * This particular email message is a hoax. The file that is
        mentioned in the hoax, however, Sulfnbk.exe, is a Microsoft Windows
        utility that is used to restore long file names.