Re: TT disk material

  • tomntucker@home.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2001
      --- In TeslaTurbine@y..., "wyzed" <wyzed@f...> wrote:
      > Tom, Smooth helps the boundary layer stick. Rough will cause
      laminar flow
      > and disturb the adhesive aspect of the boundary layer. Telsa
      mentioned this
      > in one of his many papers, I think it was in " Tesla's Engine A
      new
      > Dimension for Power. complied by Jeffery A Hayes available at TEBA.
      > Neil

      Tesla was a genius and so he may be correct, however:
      1) a rough surface should cause turbulent and not laminar or smooth
      flow.
      2) Since the goal of a turbine is to essentially cause "friction"
      between the surface and the working fluid or gas, one could also
      argue that the more roughness the better.
      3) On page 68 of "Performance of Multiple-disk-rotors Pumps with
      Varied Interdisk Spacings", by Joseph H. Morris, "Significant
      increases in pressure rise were noted fo the roughened as compared to
      smooth disks." Also "Improved pumping performance was noted with the
      roughened disks as shown in Tables..."

      Tom Tucker