Re: [TeslaTurbine] Re: TT disk material

  • wyzed
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 18, 2001
      Tom, Smooth helps the boundary layer stick. Rough will cause laminar flow
      and disturb the adhesive aspect of the boundary layer. Telsa mentioned this
      in one of his many papers, I think it was in " Tesla's Engine A new
      Dimension for Power. complied by Jeffery A Hayes available at TEBA.
      Neil
    • Tom E Arnold
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 28, 2001
        --- In TeslaTurbine "Kent L. Aldershof" wrote:

        > <snip> > I think the advantage of using SS instead of cold-rolled
        is that the SS
        > can be polished to a smoother and brighter surface finish. This
        improves
        > the adhesion, and should add to the efficiency of your turbine.
        >
        > The issue is not tensile strength, but surface finish. If you use
        > unpolished SS, you would not be much better off than by using CRS.
        > think tests of identical runners, one of polished SS and the other
        of
        > plain CRS, would show that the SS runner would perform significantly
        > better.
        >
        > Sorry if this is discouraging, if you aren't able to get a free
        supply of
        > SS to match your free CRS.

        The turbine would have to be designed around the available diameters,
        but disks could be scavenged from old computer disk drives. They are
        polished and flat to microinch tolerances, and designed to be spun at
        high speed. I'm still finding discarded 5-1/4 inch drives, and 8 inch
        disks should still be obtainable.
      • tomntucker@home.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2001
          --- In TeslaTurbine@y..., "wyzed" <wyzed@f...> wrote:
          > Tom, Smooth helps the boundary layer stick. Rough will cause
          laminar flow
          > and disturb the adhesive aspect of the boundary layer. Telsa
          mentioned this
          > in one of his many papers, I think it was in " Tesla's Engine A
          new
          > Dimension for Power. complied by Jeffery A Hayes available at TEBA.
          > Neil

          Tesla was a genius and so he may be correct, however:
          1) a rough surface should cause turbulent and not laminar or smooth
          flow.
          2) Since the goal of a turbine is to essentially cause "friction"
          between the surface and the working fluid or gas, one could also
          argue that the more roughness the better.
          3) On page 68 of "Performance of Multiple-disk-rotors Pumps with
          Varied Interdisk Spacings", by Joseph H. Morris, "Significant
          increases in pressure rise were noted fo the roughened as compared to
          smooth disks." Also "Improved pumping performance was noted with the
          roughened disks as shown in Tables..."

          Tom Tucker