tesla filter

  • Joel Florian
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2001
      Why not use a Tesla Turbine as a cetrifugal filter? We have a lot of silt
      in our well <100micron. I've looked into a lot of different types of
      filters and the most effective seems to be centrifugal -- based on an oil
      spinner (http://www.tfhudgins.com/spinner/diagram1 and www.oil-tech.com )

      Couldn't a TT be used in the same way? Kind of a combination TT, TP. You
      might have to make a special casing for it (with a nozzle and a volute
      pointing opposite directions.) Anyway, put three ports on it -- two on the
      periphery and one in the center. One of the peripheral ports would be the
      inlet, the other would be the reject and the one at the center would be the
      "filtered" output. Put water pressure to it and it would spin up to 6 or
      7000 rpm. At this speed, the heavier particles would tend to be flung to
      the outside and the lighter would go to the center. Crack the valve on the
      "filtered" outlet and you'd tend to bleed off the dirty water.

      Same idea as the old fashioned cream separator. We used to use one that
      you'd pour the milk into and then turn a crank. Skim milk would come out
      one tube and cream out the other. I tried to stay away from the cleaning
      aspect, but I remember that it was a stack of cone shaped rings with a
      central hole (for the shaft) and 1/2" holes around that (similar to a
      cone-shaped TT disk).

      Let me know what you think.

      Joel Florian, AK
    • Gary Schaub