Tesla Birthplace

  • Kent LL Aldershof
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2000
      Last night the Trustees of our local Rotary foundation heard a
      presentation from a young man we had co-sponsored (along with his
      Fulbright Fellowship) for a period of study and service in Croatia. Very
      fascinating to see the consequences of the bombing and warfare there, and
      the state of their legal system -- his field of work.

      His presentation included a couple of slides of the N. Tesla birthplace,
      in Gospic (GAUZE-pitch), Croatia. There is a large plaque outside the
      front door, in English, describing the historical importance of the
      building, and the greatness of Tesla as an inventor.

      Unfortunately, the building is untended, and is falling into ruin. It
      was not bombed, but it is dieing of neglect.

      The main reason for this is that although Tesla was born in Croatia, his
      family was not Croat -- but Serb. The Croats are not very affectionate
      toward the Serbs these days, and Tesla's birthplace is not honored nor
      even cared for, as a result.

      No news from the speaker about the Tesla museum in Zagreb. He didn't
      visit there. But he expects to return in a few months, and I may ask him
      to make a visit to the museum, just so we can get an update.

      Kent

      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.