RE: [TeslaTurbine] Re: Pulse detonation to get high pressure for better burn

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 10, 2006

      Well, it does produce water. But if you watched the (old now) interstage
      separation of one of the early Saturn IV launches, you see a brief puff
      of smoke and then nothing but vibration as the LH2, LO2 engines ignite.
      Then the inter stage ring separates and falls into the exhaust and there
      is flame everywhere. It is only water, at around 3000C. The problem with
      using this to drive a TT is that you need to run the burn at an awful
      high pressure so the expansion through the nozzle drops the temperature
      to something your metal can take (probably no more than 1200C, unless
      you go for titanium or ceramic blades.
    • sveinutne
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 10, 2006
        Hi McGalliard,

        This pulse detonation is for later. I will try first with just what
        Tesla used, but if one wants to make a commercial Tesla turbine I
        think fuel injection and high pressure burn is the way to go to get
        better fuel economy (better burn).
        If you go all the way to pulse detonation I think you also need to
        inject water to control heat, but that will be much later and then
        maybe a micro controller will monitor and adjust all this
        automatically.

        Regards
        Svein

        --- In TeslaTurbine@yahoogroups.com, "McGalliard, Frederick B"