Re: [TeslaTurbine] Leyden Jar Help Needed ASAP

  • Gavin Thomas Nicol
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2006
      On Mar 13, 2006, at 10:09 PM, email_bytes wrote:

      > If anything jumps out that we are doing wrong, I would appreciate
      > input. Also any ideas about building a better static generator??
      > Can I use my X-wifes Barry Manalow records or should I save them for
      > the skeet range?
      > The Science fair is on the 30th....HELP!!!

      My son just entered State Science Fair and got First Grant (he's 6th
      grade) for building a VDG out of lego.

      Here's some suggestions:
      a) make a smaller leyden jar... the one you built, fully charged,
      can kill you. My son made one out
      a bottle used for vitamins... foil outside, water inside, and
      a paperclip through the top. Charged,
      it could still kick enough to make your arm jerk backward. You
      can charge these just by running the
      top electrode around on a TV. Not big juicy sparks, but not
      lethal either.
      b) You can make a simple VDG: go to home depot and buy a 2 inch
      PVC T, and then about a 2 inch connector
      that will fit into it. Drill a hole through the top in line
      with the T hole. Put a small motor from
      radioshack with a bit of PVC tubing attached to the shaft into
      the T hole. Put a nail through the
      upper hole with the glass from a fuse on it. Connect them by a
      large rubber band bought at staples
      or somesuch. Take a coke can and cut out the top, and make a
      support for it so it can sit over the
      top PVC pipe. Then, drill holes as appropriate to make the
      brushes (which must be close, but not touching
      the belt top and bottom), and away you go. That thing will
      generate 1/2-1 inch sparks, and charge a
      leyden jar pretty well. It will also light up a small
      fluorescent light.