force of gravity

  • free_radical15
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
      hi guys.......i have a question which has been troublin
      me ...why is according 2 law of gravity the force between any two
      objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance
      between them and not (say cube of the distance or to the fourth power
      thanx
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006

        If it was a higher power, stars as small as our sun would be unstable
        and the stable periods for even smaller stars would be much shorter.
        Perhaps a few million years rather than billions.
        The two long range forces we know about, elecric/magnetic and gravatic,
        both have the same r^2 dependancy. Similarly, light intensity from a
        point source, etc, decays by the same rule. It looks like a kind of
        geometry thing.
        BTB. The short range forces, nuclear strong forces, have very short
        ranges and much higher r^n dependancies.
        The firce inside a sphere is zero, same as the E field inside a faraday
        shield. That this is important I guess, but I have no idea why, but it
        is only true because the dependancy is exactly the power of 2.
      • Jose Bittar
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
          Only God knows. You will have to ask Him why the speed of light is a
          constant, or to explain turbulence.

          >From: "free_radical15" <free_radical15@...>
          >To: TeslaTurbine@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [TeslaTurbine] force of gravity
          >Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 15:52:44 -0000
          >
          >hi guys.......i have a question which has been troublin
          >me ...why is according 2 law of gravity the force between any two
          >objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance
          >between them and not (say cube of the distance or to the fourth power
          > thanx

        • Drew Marinich
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2006
            How true is that! For every answer we find it only leads to ten more questions, which lead to ten more and on and on.  Myself I can't tell you why it's the square and not the cube either.  However I think that is was Sir Isaic Newton who came up with this ratio by calculating the rate at which objects accelerate on there path to the ground.  But don't quote me on that.
                Also I know the true force of gravity is something of a debate in modern physics right now. If string theory is ever proved our understanding of gravity will completly change

            Jose Bittar <jabittar@...> wrote:

            Only God knows.  You will have to ask Him why the speed of light is a
            constant, or to explain turbulence.

            >From: "free_radical15" <free_radical15@...>
            >To: TeslaTurbine@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [TeslaTurbine] force  of  gravity
            >Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 15:52:44 -0000
            >
            >hi  guys.......i  have  a   question which  has  been  troublin
            >me ...why is according 2 law of gravity the force between any two
            >objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance
            >between them and not (say cube of the distance or to the fourth power
            >   thanx

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • free radical
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 6, 2006
              hai
                thanks  for  ur  reply. its  so   freaky  u   know   wen   we  try  and figureout all  that  works.anyway   can   u  tell   me    websites   which  publishes amateur  questions ..and  allows  science  enthusiasts  to  answer  them ?..  askjeeves .com    used   to   provide  that   service  some  3   years   before  ....  have a  gr8  day    ...  thanks  n     bye

              Jose Bittar <jabittar@...> wrote:

              Only God knows.  You will have to ask Him why the speed of light is a
              constant, or to explain turbulence.

              >From: "free_radical15" <free_radical15@...>
              >To: TeslaTurbine@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [TeslaTurbine] force  of  gravity
              >Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 15:52:44 -0000
              >
              >hi  guys.......i  have  a   question which  has  been  troublin
              >me ...why is according 2 law of gravity the force between any two
              >objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance
              >between them and not (say cube of the distance or to the fourth power
              >   thanx

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              http://mail.yahoo.com