Running video

  • mtndrew77
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 7 5:57 PM
      To all

      I uploaded a avi movie of my tiny turbine running. It's in the files
      section of our member page.

      I'm still looking for more data on the turbine as a pump/compressor.
      I uploaded the only drawing I have of it into the tiny turbine folder
      located in our photos section.

      I'm specifically looking for some kind of dimensions on the spiral
      casing. If anyone has more info let me know

      Cheer's

      Andy
    • Shadow of the Redwood

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 8 8:31 AM

          I suggest you envision a spiral wrapped around the axel 5-10 times,
          narrowing in crossection as it spirals out. The outer casing needs to
          wrap around at this spiral angle until it laps itself and makes a rather
          narrow slot. The slot is the exit nozzle entrance. The nozzle, which can
          be wrapped around the pump or straight, needs to expand gradually, about
          one unit in seven as I recall, so the gas remains in intimate contact
          with the wall as it expands. This will result in the highest pressure.
          If you plug the output, the flow will stall, and the pressure will drop.
          I think this will result in pulsations. This kind of pump needs a steady
          flow, since the nozzle is key to determining the peak operating
          pressure.
        • Drew Marinich
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 8 2:16 PM
            I'm not following your explanation. If you could draw me a picture that would be the most helpful. Thank's for writting

            Cheer's

            Andy

            http://mail.yahoo.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 8 3:14 PM
              Message
              I'm not following your explanation. If you could draw me a picture that would be the most helpful.

              Draw a spiral (I am bad at this so I will do it verbally if you don't mind).
              Now redraw it with each loop slightly narrower than the one before. Make around 10 loops to fit into your TT.
              Put a pencil down at the outer edge where you will exit the turbine inner cavity, and trace back along the spiral till you have come around 360 degrees and the pencil down point is just out along the radius from where you are. The line you just drew is the outer case. The turbine fits inside this last point as close as you can fit it without scraping.
              Now you have a narrow slot where the exiting gas is moving quite fast, only a bit slower than the outer edge of the turbine blades. But the pressure is low. We need to expand the gas slowly, say every seven mm the nozzle gets one mm wider. As the gas slows and the crossection expands, the pressure increases. Where the gas pulls away from the side wall due to back pressure you have reached the maximum pressure you can attain. This is right for subsonic flow, I am pretty sure. For super sonic flow, things are more complicated.
            • Drew Marinich
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 8 7:41 PM
                Are you a engineer at boeing? Do you have access to CAD program? I use Pro E.  I plan on modeling everything before I build it. If you could take a look when I'm done that's the only way I could be sure I'm following what your talking about.

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 9 2:08 PM
                  Message

                  I do physics of failure. No CAD, sorry.

                  Fred B. McGalliard

                  Are you a engineer at boeing? Do you have access to CAD program?