RE: [TeslaTurbine] 2.5" Turbine

  • luiso-essint
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 22, 2005
      Message
      Hi Andy

      I'm afraid I did not get the pictures.
      Can you send them to me (or tell me where to get them)

      Regards

      Luiso

            I added some photo's of my 2.5" turbine. If anyone cares to look
        there in the tiny turbine album.
           Here's what I've learned. First these little motors suck alot of
        air. I have a six gallon tank, and I only got about 30 seconds of run
        time before it was spent. Next disc spacing is extremly extremly
        important. Due to convienience I built this turbine with .015 to .02
        clearance, but I think about .005 would be optimal. Well thats about
        it. Hollar at me if you want to know anymore

        Cheers

          Andy

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Drew Marinich
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 22, 2005
          James

             Thanks for the formulas that should come in handy as I experiment more.  Well for starters the motor really has no function, other than being a toy. I just wanted to build one and see if it worked.  The motor runs on compressed air, but I only have a six gallon tank for my compressor.  By the time the motor really starts to spool up my tanks out of air.  I don't have a tach on the motor, but I'm guessing it got up to about 1000 rpm before I ran out of air.
                I'm not sure what you meant by not having center through holes. There is a 5/8 hole in the center of each disk for the air to exhaust. I'll take some closer pics of the runner, maybe that will help clarify.
             As far as the manufacturing goes, The housing and the end runners are aluminum. The main runners are just low carbon shim stock about .03 thick.  To make the main runners I just stacked the the shim stock and milled and drilled them all at the same time.  I also milled the housing complete out of a block of aluminum.  I'm not sure how much detail to go into here you'll just have to let me know if this answers you guestions

          Cheer's
              Andy

          Welsh James E Contr 21SOPS/MCOM <james.welsh@...> wrote:
          Andy,

          Thanks for posting your photos!

          Yes, I have a couple questions...

          I noticed you didn't make any center through holes in your disks, do you plan to?

          What material did you use?

          I don't understand what function you are using these for... you are pushing air? What is the six gallon tank all about? I have to say, I'm lost!!

          As for the disk spacing, here's an excerpt from the qualitative analysis posted in the files section to this group. Unfortunately, the scientific symbols of the equation are not recognized by my email program. :(

          To see what D= reference the file.

          It is notable that the .027 spacing for air is at 600 degrees. Sounds like you aren't operating at that temp, so I'd be interested in hearing what the numbers flush out to at your application.

          ~~~~
          The disk gap is a critical parameter in the design. The analysis by Brieter and Pohlhausen shows that the optimum gap size to maintain the boundary layer is

                D = ��� ���(���������)

          Where D = gap size, ��� = fluid kinematic viscosity, and ��� = rotor angular velocity.
          Here are some representative values of rotor spacing in inches using this equation for a rotor running at 10,000 RPM with different fluids.

          Water @ 70 deg F                  0.004
          Saturated Steam @ 212 deg F            0.017
          Air @ 600 deg F                  0.027
          Air @ 1160 deg F                  0.038
          ~~~~~

          What RPM are you operating at?

          What materials did you use?

          How did you machine them?

          Can you provide pictures of the housing?

          Tell me MORE!!

          ~James

              I added some photo's of my 2.5" turbine. If anyone cares to look
          there in the tiny turbine album.
             Here's what I've learned. First these little motors suck alot of
          air. I have a six gallon tank, and I only got about 30 seconds of run
          time before it was spent. Next disc spacing is extremly extremly
          important. Due to convienience I built this turbine with .015 to .02
          clearance, but I think about .005 would be optimal. Well thats about
          it. Hollar at me if you want to know anymore

          Cheers

            Andy

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/EA3HyD/3MnJAA/79vVAA/UIYolB/TM

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Welsh James E Contr 21SOPS/MCOM
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 24, 2005

            Yeah… you answered my question… answer is, you used equipment that I don’t have… NO MILL here. L

            You may not run out of air as fast if you put a load on that motor… ;)

            Thanks for your response,

            James

                I added some photo's of my 2.5" turbine. If anyone cares to look
            there in the tiny turbine album.
               Here's what I've learned. First these little motors suck alot of
            air. I have a six gallon tank, and I only got about 30 seconds of run
            time before it was spent. Next disc spacing is extremly extremly
            important. Due to convienience I built this turbine with .015 to .02
            clearance, but I think about .005 would be optimal. Well thats about
            it. Hollar at me if you want to know anymore

            Cheers

              Andy

            At Network for Good, help bridge thhe Digital Divide!