Disc spacing and discharge

  • phils442
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2005
      Has anyone established what the optimum disc spacing should be? Also
      any thoughts as to having the working fluid exit out the perimeter of
      the housing vs holes in the disc?------Phil
    • Welsh James E Contr 21SOPS/MCOM
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2005
        Yes, spacing depends upon what medium you are using. I have seen some
        specs floating around there some where. Mediums like water that have a
        greater surface tension were like .017 Whereas air would be more like
        .010.

        of thing, only working the unit in reverse. The pump would have a water
        jacket that would be pressurized. The fluid would flow into all the
        holes, distributing the pressure across the perimeter of the disk.
        However, each time you add a hole, you are adding surface area and
        resistance. Said another way, 1 large hole adds less impedance than many
        small holes with the same cross sectional void. So, is the advantage
        gained by distributing the force more significant than the loss due to
        the added drag in the system?

        (from memory, someone correct me here...)

        Interestingly enough, I just bought a book that is a collection of all
        tesla's patents... It's almost 2" thick!

        Has anyone established what the optimum disc spacing should be? Also
        any thoughts as to having the working fluid exit out the perimeter of
        the housing vs holes in the disc?------Phil

        Yahoo! Groups Links