Hybrid drive

  • Paul Eitson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 1999
      Refer to the attached diagram for details. It is in gif format. The
      attached diagram represents a hybrid engine and flywheel combination.
      Recent attempts at manufacturing a high speed flywheel have been less
      than successful. Massive flywheels are used in buses in germany. Smaller
      flywheels are common in diesels.. A middle of the road approach seems to
      be a viable option. It should be possible to combine a medium sized
      flywheel with a slower rotation (4000 rpm) and an electric motor
      generator to replace or reduce the need for a battery. Airplane
      generators have long combined a motor function to reduce weight. A motor
      generator combined with a flywheel should be a satisfactory replacement
      for batteries. A counter rotating flywheel should help reduce gyroscopic
      forces as well. The main problem with this arrangement is gearing.
      Kevlar belts rated at 100,000rpm are available for race cars. The
      solution might be to use larger rotor sections in the turbine or to
      attach the generator flywheel to the transmission.
      Paul