RE: [TeslaTurbine] How Can I help

  • Welsh James E Contr 21SOPS/MCOM
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 26, 2004

      Jim,

      Interesting…

      So are you saying,

      Convert a vehicle to use an electrical motor to each wheel (which doubles as a electrical generation device when coasting,) with some onboard storage, supplemented by an onboard generator which would automatically power on during high power output or low battery conditions?

      Do you have any preliminary concepts together for your idea?

      James Welsh

      MCOM Database Support, OAFS

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 26, 2004

        James,

        You have grasped it completely.  Yes, I have some preliminary concepts together.  I am currently working at a university engineering department, and a few of us have discussed a project.  I have worked with a physics grad student on a novel idea I had for improving the chemical storage battery.  The student is now doing the preliminary research needed to develop the construction method.  I have run the numbers and had several other engineers do the same and the answers all agreed.  We think that we should be able to approach a theoretical maximum battery capacity of 117 amp-hrs per pound of lead using conventional lead acid chemistry.  That should cut the needed weight of storage batteries for a vehicle drastically.

        As to the drive system, I am a firm believer in the series wound DC motor for use in vehicles as opposed to using AC motors.  The speed versus torque characteristics of the series wound DC motor match those required for vehicle propulsion much more closely than does any other type of DC or AC motor.  I believe the best fit is a direct drive wheel mounted motor of the so-called “pancake” design.  These motors deliver maximum torque at stall and need not deliver high RPMs, as wheel speeds at highway speed are not that high.  Also, there is considerable weight savings to be realized using pancake motors on each wheel as compared to using one central drive motor and a mechanical drive train.  Using individual motors does away with the differential, drive shaft, half shafts and CV joints for starters.

        My degree is in Electrical Engineering, although I currently work in the Chemical Engineering department.  I have spoken to individuals in the Mechanical Engineering department about a joint project to develop a concept vehicle.  Mechanical Engineering currently has a donated Saturn automobile that we might be able to use as a developmental test bed.  I have one of my undergraduate students currently working with the Mechanical Engineering department to build a demonstration Tesla pump for display at Engineering Day, held each spring here on the campus.  We hope that will open a few eyes to the wonders of Tesla technology.  Hopefully we can then recruit more students and faculty into the vehicle development area.

        I have been working for some time with a retired machinist to develop a working Tesla gas turbine to power a high-speed onboard generator.  Progress is being made, but it is slow work.  The turbine section is almost complete and the compressor section is in process right now.  We met last night to lay plans for a testing setup for the compressor section to measure and document operating characteristics.  We could use help from any list members who have knowledge or experience with burner cans and nozzle design.

        Jim Dooley

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 26, 2004

          Jim,

          How exciting… I had been throwing around the idea of building a vegetable oil fueled tesla engine for a motorcycle. In thinking about it, I started to wonder about the Tesla engines’ ability to deliver torque over a range of RPM and be able to vary that RPM and I came to the conclusion that it may be better to operate the engine at a set RPM generating electricity, then have the output be a pancake motor constructed right inside the rear wheel. That way, there is no mechanical loss due to flex or heat in the system, other than the loss of the motor itself and the output is varied, not by the speed of the tesla motor, but by the voltage output that is delivered to the wheel. All excess is then output to the recharging system.

          The other thing I came up with, was the possibility of a drive generator and an overdrive, or booster generator. The first generator would be designed to output sufficient power to continue highway propulsion. The second generator would only employ during times of high power demand. This could even be turned on or off by the operator, anticipating a high power demand… Let’s race!! (turns on the Power Booster module…) I just don’t know if the added weight of the second generator would be worth carting around. I guess the thing to see would be if the second generator was lower in weight than a larger first generator coupled with the required battery system…??

          Anyway, I think that an integrated motor/wheel design could dramatically change the way the rubber meets the road, so to speak. For motorcycle uses, it could definitely serve to lower the center of gravity.

          One other thought… I don’t know motors well enough to answer this question, but, wouldn’t you be able to use the motors in forward and reverse, and if so, wouldn’t the drive system also double as the breaking system? Could this reduce the need for a mechanical breaking system? I say reduce, because I wouldn’t want to be at the mercy of gravity and inertia during a total power failure…

          I have seen some stuff online about a conversion for your car where you can separate hydrogen from water and use it (hydrogen) on demand. This concept removes the problem of extremely dangerous hydrogen storage tanks. The down side is, it requires costly nickel plating to an existing automotive engine. My idea was to see if this system could be utilized to deliver hydrogen to a specifically designed tesla generator. If I were going to go through the trouble of designing something, I think that a vehicle that runs efficiently on water would be a noble effort…

          My coming projects include building a tesla pump driven by an AC motor that I will utilize to hydrostatically drill a drinking water well on my property. I will use what I learn there to build my hydroelectric station that runs off the creek running through my place.

          Unfortunately for me, this tesla pump/engine design stuff has been mostly theory for me thus far… but at least it gives me lots to think about!!

          Looking forward to hearing your thoughts…

          James Welsh

          MCOM Database Support, OAFS

          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 26, 2004
            Message

            I just don’t know if the added weight of the second generator would be worth carting around.

            If you really want to do this, I recommend looking into using very high quality high field permanent magnets and probably a higher voltage (perhaps around 400V) and electronic controls to bring the overall weight down and the efficiency up.  In a one of, like this, you would probably want to be ready to spend around $1 K on the generator itself.

          • Drew Marinich
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 26, 2004
              Jim
                 Hello all, My names Andy Marinich.  I'm a toolmaker from Peoria IL.  I've been interested in the idea of using a tesla turbine as a supercharger for my 88 tbird.
              I'm not sure where to begin, or if it's even practical.  If anyone can help with the mechnical side of the problem it would be appreciated.  In turn if I can help with any manufacturing problems let me know.  I would like to get about 10psi or more boost to the old 5.0

              Jim Dooley <LSUman@...> wrote:

[...]

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • Welsh James E Contr 21SOPS/MCOM
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 26, 2004
                Andy,

                Have you checked out the files posted to the group in the files section? There's some info there on different calculations and designs that will help you derive your specifications.

                As you poke around, you will find that Tesla Turbines operate at thousands of RPM's. One member of this post constructed a pump from old AOL CD's and reported they withstand to 16,000 rpms! Anyway... check out the files. You will need to consider disk spacing based on the viscosity of your medium. From the top of my head, I think I have seen numbers between 7-10 thousanths for air, 17 thousands for water. The working pressure you desire and the RPMs you will operate at will lend to the determination of your pump size.

                Love to see designs and pics as your project comes alive!!

                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 31, 2004
                  New to the board, but this thread struck a chord with me as I have
                  had a similar idea floating in my head for awhile. Although I am
                  very interested in BLT technology I think a good start would be to
                  develop a system that first utilizes one of the miniature
                  conventional gas turbines available on the market first to work out
                  the sytem, then potentially incorporate a BLT after the system is
                  shown to work. I think that a gas turbine operating at a constant
                  speed turning a DC generator would be best. Just my opinion of
                  course, but I think that a whole segment of the market is being
                  missed by utilizing the current hybrid automotive technologies as
                  only a means of attracting "green" consumers. As pointed out, an
                  electrical motor has maximum torque at zero RPM...perfect for
                  spectacular acceleration!

                  A motor at each wheel has been proven in locomotive design and
                  application for many years (again due to the massive torque available
                  at low RPM) and such a system would offer many benefits in a sports
                  car that I can think of right off and very few drawbacks:

                  1. Very high power/weight ratio for engine and high speed generator
                  can be very small for power ouput.
                  2. Elimination of the vast majority of the drive train (even more
                  saved weight)
                  3. The ability to control each wheel independently - very easy to
                  incorporate traction control and ABS (maybe even steering at high
                  speeds).
                  4. No drive train means that power unit could be mounted at the
                  designer's whim to wherever would be convenient for optimum weight
                  distribution.
                  5. Can run on just about anything, but the current infrastructure
                  makes diesel likely the most convenient
                  6. A (practical) jet powered car!

                  Just imagine the look of confusion on the face of the guy in the
                  Corvette when you pull up next to him and that high speed turbine
                  whine and hum is eminating from your car. Then imagine his further
                  confusion when you accelerate away like a F1 race car at the green
                  before he can even engage his clutch.

                  Very cool.

                  Regards,
                  Stephen

                  --- In TeslaTurbine@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Dooley" <LSUman@m...> wrote:
> [...]
                  few eyes
                  > to the wonders of Tesla technology. Hopefully we can then recruit
                  more
                  > students and faculty into the vehicle development area.
                  >
                  > I have been working for some time with a retired machinist to
                  develop a
                  > working Tesla gas turbine to power a high-speed onboard generator.
                  Progress
                  > is being made, but it is slow work. The turbine section is almost
                  complete
                  > and the compressor section is in process right now. We met last
                  night to
                  > lay plans for a testing setup for the compressor section to measure
                  and
                  > document operating characteristics. We could use help from any
                  list members
                  > who have knowledge or experience with burner cans and nozzle design.

                  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129k46759/M=298184.5285298.6392945.300117
                  6/D=gr

                  oups/S=1705083412:HM/EXP=1093617255/A=2319501/R=0/SIG=11tq0u909/*http:
                  //www.
                  > netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185353&partid=5285298>
                  >

                  > _____
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  subject=Unsubscribe>

                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 31, 2004
                    Jim,

                    I just had a chance to re-read your post. I'd be interested in seeing the demonstration on engineering day, what school is it and where are you located?

                    Stephen,

                    you read my mind. That's what I'm talking about.

                    All,

                    The other thing I have been thinking lately regarding the Tesla engine and Automotive transportation, is that if I were making a new vehicle from scratch, I would be able to make it anyway I wanted. For example, if I wanted to change the way the car handles by giving it a lower center of gravity, I could change the tesla engine into a small precision engine that would actually be tubes running along the bottom of the vehicle. Each tube would be about 3-4" in diameter laid side by side. These tubes would not only make up the chassis of the vehicle, but also provide chambers for bladeless discs and fuel mixture. This could be used to make multiple stages.

                    The German V-2 rocket nozzles were constructed from many tubes laid side by side and formed into the shape of the nozzle. They would then flow the fuel into the tubes. As the rocket nozzle would fire, the incoming fuel would flow through the nozzle jacket. Not only did this accomplish cooling the nozzle for longer nozzle life and accurate trajectory, but it also pre-heated the fuel for improved combustion. This same type of technology could be used by adding copper fuel supply line runs along the sides of the parallel 4" tubes. but I'm just daydreaming and haven't' done any calculations... so don't listen to me!!

                    I do like the idea of the low center of gravity and completely new engine type design. Perhaps I should do some drawings so all of this makes more sense...

> [...]

                    few eyes
                    > to the wonders of Tesla technology. Hopefully we can then recruit
                    more
                    > students and faculty into the vehicle development area.
                    >
                    > I have been working for some time with a retired machinist to
                    develop a
                    > working Tesla gas turbine to power a high-speed onboard generator.
                    Progress
                    > is being made, but it is slow work. The turbine section is almost
                    complete
                    > and the compressor section is in process right now. We met last
                    night to
                    > lay plans for a testing setup for the compressor section to measure
                    and
                    > document operating characteristics. We could use help from any
                    list members
                    > who have knowledge or experience with burner cans and nozzle design.

                    subject=Unsubscribe>

                    of

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • AE Hill
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 1, 2005

                      Good nu-year ya all!

                      I�ve been visiting my mom in Texas .

                      Speaking of automotive concepts�

                      I too, have long considered the concepts used by locomotives.

                      The driving habits of the �normal� driver wastes lots of energy.

                      People like fast starts, and fast stops.

                      They also like high speed long-distance driving, but typically spend much more of the world�s resources with �city� driving.

                      High-torque motors in each wheel seems great,
                      drive-trains are relatively inefficient.

                      So, let�s not forget another [even more influential] Tesla concept.

                      Tesla [with Westinghouse] battled for years in the public forums the pros and cons of his Alternating Current concepts with the dim-witted Edison [with General Electric] who supported Direct Current power systems.

                      The real crux of the matter turned out to be transmission loses at low voltages.

                      The higher the voltages, the less energy is lost over the same power transmission lines.

                       Alternating Current could use transformers to raise the voltages at the power generating site and more transformers on the receiving end to lower the voltages [for safety].

                      In a car the transmission line is �short.� The problem is that the power is �high.�

                      A common example happens to be the transmission lines going to the normal automobile starter. We all know they have to about 1/2 inch diameter wire. Why? The power to turn over a infernal [internal] combustion engine is �high.� [The cars of the future will go 48 volts to mitigate this circumstance.] At 12 volts it takes about 100 amps to get the job done. Power equals voltage times current, so that would be about 1.2kW. From a practical point of view, it is the 100 amps that determines the wire-gage.

                      [At 48 volts, the same power only needs 25 amps of current and much smaller wire]

                      The size of the wire is important, but the contact resistance is also important.

                      The higher the current, the more heat any contact resistance will be. Contact resistance is important at all connections from the power source to motors.

                      Another major consideration would be the price of the finial current controlling device. Higher current ratings mean higher heat dissipations and higher prices.

                      Then, very importantly, the gage of the wire needed for the motor windings depends on the current [because of heat generated] not the power. At the same power, the higher the voltage, the lower the current, and the smaller the wire has to be for the motor windings.

                      In the physical world, nothing starts instantaneously, nor does anything stop instantaneously. Direct Current suffer from this conceptual flaw. As the motor turns, it tries to switch on and off instantaneously.

                      With Tesla�s concept, the power of the motor shifts using a sinusoidal transfer function. To increase torque, all the motor designer has to do is increase the number poles. This increases the complexity, but adds to the redundancy [and therefore increases the reliability] of the motor.

                      In review, Tesla�s Alternating Current concept can more readily generate higher sinusoidal voltages and therefore transfer power more efficiently to the motor while using more cost effective controlling components.

                      As far as �normal drivers� go, another popular craze today is �RV� abilities.

                      Also, let�s not forget the importance vehicle suspension and road clearance.

                      The motor-in-the-wheel idea will allow the suspension to easily clear very impressive obstacles without drive shaft problems.

                      What do ya think?

                        Hill

                      Do you Yahoo!?
                    • Jim
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 2, 2005
                        to which post are you refering?
                        i am located in tx.just south of dallas.
                      • Welsh James E Contr 21SOPS/MCOM
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 2, 2005
                          I'm assuming you are responding to my mail... I was referring to the
                          post where you mentioned the engineering day. It would be cool to come
                          see the demonstration, but I am in California...

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 11, 2005
                            Lee,

                            I haven't worked with the small turbines much myself, but am familiar
                            with them through casual research and having observed some of the
                            smaller ones fly in radio controlled jet aircraft (very impressive by
                            the way). I know that there is a growing interest in using these
                            types of gas turbines for remote power generation and I'm sure that
                            someone out there has devised a muffling system for this type of
                            application. Try a Google search for this application and see what
                            comes up! I'm sure that there is something documented out there.

                            Stephen

                            --- In TeslaTurbine@yahoogroups.com, "lee B" <leebell@l...> wrote:
                            > Stephen,
                            > I was wondering if you know, I don't , do they (meaning people who
                            make gas turbines) have any way of muffling those things down so the
                            whine isn't so loud?
                            > Otherwise that sounds like a good idea to me. I was thinking of
                            getting 2-4 of those electronic brushless motors that are built
                            into bike wheels and mounting them on something like one of
                            the "rhodes cars" and then use batteries/gas generator to power
                            them . With a small shell body the electric 4 wheeler would be a good
                            cheap transportation. I ride a recumbent trike a lot but it would be
                            nice to get out of the weather (if designed right, my idea would have
                            pedals too) With the same type motors but bigger (I know they are
                            made in a number of sizes) and using motorcycle wheels a version
                            with what you are talking about with a small gas turbine would be
                            even better... it could be a "veggie car" too if it would run on
                            WVO. : o ) You could still have a high hp versus weight ratio
                            especially if you used a couple of batts for just acceleration amps
                            assist.

                            > Lee B
                            >
                            > Alright, now question for everybody else.... how big would a tesla
                            turbine running on fuel have to be to run a gen/alt capable of
                            putting out enough current to pump 60 amps at 220 v ? (20hp?) .hmmm
                            maybe time to do some research again . I'm a newbie to this stuff too-
                            I'm just starting a air turbine with harddisk platters - still
                            making inserts.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 20, 2005
                              Vivek,

                              In 1906 Nikola Tesla created the engine that was touted as the "power
                              house in a hat." It weighed less than fifty pounds and was approximately
                              18 inches wide. With some development, a similar model operating at
                              16,000 RPMs generated 200 HP. I don't know about 300HP, but it has been
                              a long time since then and perhaps enough has been learned about them
                              since then to increase the efficiency. I do know that 200 HP has been
                              achieved, referencing "Tesla, master of lightning" by Margaret Cheney &
                              Robert Uth, ISBN 1-5866-3187-X.

                              I also purchased an interesting book recently that is a compendium of
                              all Tesla Patents. If you are interested in that, let me know and I'll
                              give you the ISBN for that.

                              As for designs, there should be some files posted to the yahoo group
                              stating design characteristics and other operational reviews. If you
                              have difficulty, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

                              There are a lot of factors that determine design, but most are
                              determined by your usage. Will you be using steam or some other prime
                              mover? Will you be driving it or using it to drive? The heart of the
                              Tesla machine is the bladeless disk, they can drive a fluid or be
                              driven. The heat that the disks have to withstand determines that
                              material that you will be using. Also, since the disks spin at great
                              speeds, centrifugal forces can warp the disks significantly if the metal
                              is too soft. When calculating this, don't forget that the disks will be
                              under heat, so the elasticity of the metal is not calculated at room
                              temperature, but at the turbine operating temp.

                              Another thing that helps flush out your design, is knowing what medium
                              you are moving. The viscosity of the fluid or gas determines the
                              separation of the disks. EG, air is less viscous, so your disk
                              separation would be less than .010" Whereas separation for water would
                              be closer to .017".

                              I hope that helps.

                              Let me know if you have any further questions.

                              As a side note to the list, I'm still interested in designing and
                              building a car that uses electrolysis to derive hydrogen from water to
                              fire a Tesla engine that acts as a electrical power plant to move a car
                              that operates with DC motors on each wheel. This would optimize the TT
                              by running it at a constant speed and remove the weight of all drive
                              train and reduction gearing from the vehicle. Additionally, the
                              simplicity of the Tesla Turbine engine and the electrical motors puts
                              the automotive technology back in the hands of the public. Also, one of
                              the main problems with using hydrolysis in a conventional auto engine
                              has been corrosion due to water vapor. However, Tesla designed the
                              turbines to operate on Steam, So, the costly process of breaking down an
                              auto engine and coating all the combustion chamber parts with Ceramics
                              is not an issue. However, I have no experience operating a steam
                              turbine...

                              Any comments?

                              ~James Welsh

                              I am looking for a Tesla turbine to work on compressed air at 300
                              atmospheres. Can I get the design for the turbine. Some reports say
                              that a 300HP turbine can fit into a hat (yes, that small). Please
                              Comment on this issue.

                              Regards
                              Vivek
                              India