[terry-rangers] Re: Roster Book

  • Troy Groves
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 27 12:32 AM
      Terry's Rangers were a Confederate cavalry unit, it sounds like you might be
      looking for someone who served with the post-war Texas Rangers.

      Incidentally I believe Mel Wheat and Silver Star Press are working on a new
      Terry Ranger book. Mel Wheat does have a very complete roster for Terry's
      Rangers on his website at
      http://terrysrangers.silverstarpress.com/terry.htm.

      (A side note: I found out a couple of days ago that my home in Missouri
      burned to the ground while I was out here visiting Arizona. It appears
      someone may have robbed the place and then set fire to it deliberately. My
      sister visited the home yesterday and says that there is nothing worth
      salvaging. The bad news is that my computers and all the data they
      contained, my books, and all my research material were in the house and
      either stolen or burned up. This may substantially slow updates to my
      website and means the only research material I have is what is now on the
      net already. One thing this reminds me of though, is how easy history is
      lost and the importance of preserving and duplicating documents, letters,
      pictures, etc. I urge you not to only consider preserving any Ranger
      material you have but any material you consider irreplaceable. The good news
      is no one was at home at the time of the fire so nobody was hurt.)
      ----------
      Troy "Spider" Groves
      http://www.infomagic.com/~thgroves/ttr

      "A cavalry leader must have a passion--not simply a liking--for horses,
      because nothing short of an absorbing passion can make him take the
      necessary interest in his mount." - Maj. George S. Patton, 3rd Cav. 1922

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 27 9:29 AM
        Hate to clutter up everyone's E-Mail, but wanted to reply. I have a roster
        of Terry's Texas Rangers and Robert Lay is not on it. Suggest you look at
        following reference: Hewlett, Janet B., The Roster of Confederate
        Soldiers, 1861-1865, Broadfoot Publishing Company, Wilmington, NC, 1996.
        Question? Reply to: crush@...

      • Texas8CSA@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 27 11:40 AM
          Troy,

          I am so sorry to hear about your home . . . if there is anything
          at all that I can do to help . . . please advise.

          Mel Wheat
          texas8csa@...

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/terry-rangers
        • Susan Seeley
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 27 12:30 PM
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 28 11:42 AM
              Dear Tony:

              Thank you for your response to my query. I am so sorry to hear about your
              home. It seems like every time we get close to finding my Grandfather
              something happens and more history is destroyed. Perhaps he doesn't want us
              to find Him?
              I will look into the web page you gave me. Wish me luck.

              Laura (Lay) Plain

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 28 4:23 PM
                Laura,

                Please give me your ancestor's name and I will try to help
                you . . . I am responsible for the web site for Terry's Rangers.

                Regards,

                Mel Wheat
                Plano, Texas
                texas8csa@...

                eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/terry-rangers
              • LPlain5572@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 1, 1999
                  Dear Mel:

                  I am looking for William Robert Lay, who msy have deserted his post and the
                  Rangers. If there is a special list of such people, he may be on it. Thanks
                  for your help.

                  Laura (Lay) Plain

                  eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/terry-rangers