HotBox flicering temp readings

  • ras_har
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 25 2:56 PM
      Hi

      I made the Arbiter and it give me "fine" readings in the Hyperterminal ... but The hotbox(2.12 under XP )is finding the probes ok but the temp data is just cracp i can se differens on the readings when I heat the probes( flickering up and down ) do I need to use DS18B20 I have DS18S20 probes ... ? enny suggestion

      I have tested 2 diferent pc`s

      Help will be appreciated

      Regards rasmus
    • Nick Hubbard
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 27 3:35 AM
        Hi

        Hotbox works with DS18S20 and DS18B20.

        The erratic readings would be from the probes themselves. The hotbox
        software ignores corrupt data packets. You must be getting data
        packets - otherwise you would be getting no temperature display at
        all.

        Check you have the 5V supply wire fed to the probes.

        Are all the probes erratic?

        Can you send screen shots? Email a datastream to this list.

        http://www.anotherurl.com/therm/graphics/terminal.gif
        Send the characters, not a screen shot of them.

        Nick

        2009/4/25 ras_har <ras_har@...>:

        > Hi
        >
        > I made the Arbiter and it give me "fine" readings in the Hyperterminal ...
        > but The hotbox(2.12 under XP )is finding the probes ok but the temp data is
        > just cracp i can se differens on the readings when I heat the probes(
        > flickering up and down ) do I need to use DS18B20 I have DS18S20 probes ...
        > ? enny suggestion
        >
        > I have tested 2 diferent pc`s
        >
        > Help will be appreciated
        >
        > Regards rasmus

      • ras_har
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 27 5:07 AM
          Hi Nick
          Thaks for the reply:-)
          It sems to give me nice readings now !!
          I mesured the 5v bus Hmmm.....!!! I have managed to run at to low voltage ...(Too late in the evening) .After fideling back and forthe with the max232 chip I fond some faults on the pcb layout ... mising gnd and the TTL==>RS232 whent the wrong way has anny body else tested the max232 PCB layaout?

          can I run DS18S20 and DS18B20 at the same time?

          Thanks for a werry nice DIY project!!

          Regards Rasmus

          --- In TemperatureLoggers@yahoogroups.com, Nick Hubbard <nick@...> wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > Hotbox works with DS18S20 and DS18B20.
          >
          > The erratic readings would be from the probes themselves. The hotbox
          > software ignores corrupt data packets. You must be getting data
          > packets - otherwise you would be getting no temperature display at
          > all.
          >
          > Check you have the 5V supply wire fed to the probes.
          >
          > Are all the probes erratic?
          >
          > Can you send screen shots? Email a datastream to this list.
          >
          > http://www.anotherurl.com/therm/graphics/terminal.gif
          > Send the characters, not a screen shot of them.
          >
          > Nick
          >

          > 2009/4/25 ras_har <ras_har@...>:
          > >

          > > Hi
          > >
          > > I made the Arbiter and it give me "fine" readings in the Hyperterminal ...
          > > but The hotbox(2.12 under XP )is finding the probes ok but the temp data is
          > > just cracp i can se differens on the readings when I heat the probes(
          > > flickering up and down ) do I need to use DS18B20 I have DS18S20 probes ...
          > > ? enny suggestion
          > >
          > > I have tested 2 diferent pc`s
          > >
          > > Help will be appreciated
          > >
          > > Regards rasmus

        • Nick Hubbard
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 27 5:29 AM
            >has anny body else tested the max232 PCB layaout?
            I have not tested the layout. I will have to do my own and put it on
            the web site.

            >can I run DS18S20 and DS18B20 at the same time?

            Yes.

            > Thanks for a werry nice DIY project!!

            Thanks

            Nick

            2009/4/27 ras_har <ras_har@...>:

            > Hi Nick
            > Thaks for the reply:-)
            > It sems to give me nice readings now !!
            > I mesured the 5v bus Hmmm.....!!! I have managed to run at to low voltage
            > ...(Too late in the evening) .After fideling back and forthe with the max232
            > chip I fond some faults on the pcb layout ... mising gnd and the TTL==>RS232
            > whent the wrong way has anny body else tested the max232 PCB layaout?
            >
            > can I run DS18S20 and DS18B20 at the same time?
            >
            > Thanks for a werry nice DIY project!!
            >
            > Regards Rasmus

          • Phil Tilson
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 30 7:25 AM
            My apologies, Nick - there is, indeed, an error in the MAX232 layout.  I built the original version and never actually built and tested the MAX232 version.

            I have attached revised layout for those having problems, and who might not want to go to surface mount.

            Regards

            Phil

            2009/4/27 ras_har <ras_har@yahoo. com>:

            > Hi Nick
            > Thaks for the reply:-)
            > It sems to give me nice readings now !!
            > I mesured the 5v bus Hmmm.....!!! I have managed to run at to low voltage
            > ...(Too late in the evening) .After fideling back and forthe with the max232
            > chip I fond some faults on the pcb layout ... mising gnd and the TTL==>RS232
            > whent the wrong way has anny body else tested the max232 PCB layaout?
            >
            > can I run DS18S20 and DS18B20 at the same time?
            >
            > Thanks for a werry nice DIY project!!
            >
            > Regards Rasmus

            .

          • Nick Hubbard