Re: [Technical_Insanity] Flip-Down Casters

  • Sue McDonald
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 25, 2012
      I second Dennis' idea...let the prop stay on a rolling frame just ensure
      it can be locked. Besides how would you pick up a monster mud prop? I
      have manhandled a few in my day and that is why they took the first drop
      box to the dump. MM props take up a lot of precious space and I don't
      use the same props year after year so I need flexible changeable props.

      On 2/25/2012 4:44 PM, Dennis Griesser wrote:

      > I agree with Corey that they look like repurposed clamps.
      >
      > I guess that's why when I followed
      > http://www.stagespot.com/product/ROS-WAGBRAKES/Wagon%20Brakes%20300lbs
      > they looked a bit familiar.
      >
      > (rummage)
      >
      > The Harbor Freight versions look a little different
      > http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-vertical-toggle-clamp-96238.html
      > http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-horizontal-toggle-clamp-96233.html
      >
      > BUT according to the stagespot entry, "this brake actually lifts the
      > scenery off its casters, preventing the wagon from shifting under
      > active actor movements"
      >
      > So, once again, we are back to the issue of the first/last brake
      > actuated bears full load. Which means that you have to insure that
      > every individual brake is spec'ed to hold the whole thing ... plus a
      > safety factor.
      >
      > I would prefer a caster with an integrated brake mechanism.
      > http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-cushion-tire-swivel-caster-with-brake-46819.html
      > Let the damn prop sit on the wheels 24x7. Just make sure that the
      > wheels can't move!
      >
      > - Jack of Shadows
      >
      > On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Corey Minion
      > <csminion@... <mailto:csminion%40minionsweb.com>> wrote:
      > > ok, those are hold downs
      > > Often used in woodworking and production shops with jigs.
      > >
      > > I use them when making plastic bending jigs, on pressure pots, on
      > > production molds, on drilling jigs, etc.
      > >
      > > You can pick up them pretty damned cheap from harbor freight.
      > > This is one of those items that you can be not concerned buying from
      > > them, it is pretty hard to f@ck up this item.
      > >
      > > I think I bought the last bunch on sale for about 4 bucks each.
      > >
      > > Corey
      > >
      > > On 2/25/2012 1:42 PM, David Petrone wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Generally, in theatre they do with wagon brakes. the casters take the
      > > > weight of the piece, and the brake keeps the piece in place. Look at
      > > > http://www.stagespot.com/product/ROS-WAGBRAKES/Wagon%20Brakes%20300lbs
      > > >
      > > > Dave

      > > > existed

      > creation
      > > > stable.

      > ><http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30842&filter=43501&pn=43501
      > <http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30842&filter=43501&pn=43501>
      > > >
      > <http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30842&filter=43501&pn=43501
      > <http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30842&filter=43501&pn=43501>>>

      > > > back.

    • Daniel Neumansky
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 27, 2012
        It's funny that this was the message that got all the traction.
        I was expecting this to be more of a throw-a-way type of thing and that the
        real discussion would be about using the Kinect in a haunt setting....

        Daniel Neumansky
        Alameda CA

        I second Dennis' idea...let the prop stay on a rolling frame just ensure
        it can be locked. Besides how would you pick up a monster mud prop? I
        have manhandled a few in my day and that is why they took the first drop
        box to the dump. MM props take up a lot of precious space and I don't
        use the same props year after year so I need flexible changeable props.

        On 2/25/2012 4:44 PM, Dennis Griesser wrote:

        > I agree with Corey that they look like repurposed clamps.
        >
        > I guess that's why when I followed
        > http://www.stagespot.com/product/ROS-WAGBRAKES/Wagon%20Brakes%20300lbs
        > they looked a bit familiar.
        >
        > (rummage)
        >
        > The Harbor Freight versions look a little different
        > http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-vertical-toggle-clamp-96238.html
        > http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-horizontal-toggle-clamp-96233.html
        >
        > BUT according to the stagespot entry, "this brake actually lifts the
        > scenery off its casters, preventing the wagon from shifting under
        > active actor movements"
        >
        > So, once again, we are back to the issue of the first/last brake
        > actuated bears full load. Which means that you have to insure that
        > every individual brake is spec'ed to hold the whole thing ... plus a
        > safety factor.
        >
        > I would prefer a caster with an integrated brake mechanism.

        http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-cushion-tire-swivel-caster-with-brake-46
        819.html
        > Let the damn prop sit on the wheels 24x7. Just make sure that the
        > wheels can't move!
        >
        > - Jack of Shadows
        >
        > On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Corey Minion
        > <csminion@... <mailto:csminion%40minionsweb.com>> wrote:
        > > ok, those are hold downs
        > > Often used in woodworking and production shops with jigs.
        > >
        > > I use them when making plastic bending jigs, on pressure pots, on
        > > production molds, on drilling jigs, etc.
        > >
        > > You can pick up them pretty damned cheap from harbor freight.
        > > This is one of those items that you can be not concerned buying from
        > > them, it is pretty hard to f@ck up this item.
        > >
        > > I think I bought the last bunch on sale for about 4 bucks each.
        > >
        > > Corey
        > >
        > > On 2/25/2012 1:42 PM, David Petrone wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Generally, in theatre they do with wagon brakes. the casters take the
        > > > weight of the piece, and the brake keeps the piece in place. Look at
        > > > http://www.stagespot.com/product/ROS-WAGBRAKES/Wagon%20Brakes%20300lbs
        > > >
        > > > Dave

        > > > existed

        > creation
        > > > stable.

        > ><http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30842&filter=43501&pn=43501
        > <http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30842&filter=43501&pn=43501>
        > > >
        > <http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30842&filter=43501&pn=43501
        > <http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=30842&filter=43501&pn=43501>>>

        > > > back.

      • Keck, Scott
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 27, 2012
          Funny, my big MM reaper has gone back and forth to our haunt by being tossed into the back of a van for years. He also got loaned out to Lynn Kaplan one year and survived a fair trip roped to the roof of her car, then coming back shoved into another van. Only real damage is a little flaking around the edges at the very bottom of the prop. He's been surprisingly durable...