RE: [Technical_Insanity] And A Real Question!

  • Corey Minion
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 1, 2010
      For the wind I suggest an air amp or air blade to get the rush of air you
      want
      question is how long of an area will this effect cover, or is it like they
      are passing a doorway in a wall as the phantom blows by?

      _____

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 1, 2010
        For rumble you'll need a big subwoofer. 18" would be good. I see powered subs on FreeCycle all the time but I've never found anything bigger than 10".
        If your TOTs are supposedly right next to the train as it passes it will be tough. My first inclination is to say an electric leaf blower mounted to something that you can pivot with a wiper motor and sync with the headlight. If your soundtrack is loud enough it should cover any noise from the leaf blower, and the electric ones aren't that bad. It will give you the focused blast of air you're looking for.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 1, 2010
          I was also thinking that if you want the TOT'ers to feel the train rumbling
          by you could use aura base shakers. Attach them to the bottom of some
          plywood and have the kids stand on the wood? They'd definitely feel
          something.

          Silent wind? Ha Silent but Deadly!

          What if you made a big torriodial vortex generator using a trash can and a
          pneumatic cylinder to fire it. The kids would definitely feel the air hit
          them if it was aimed right. Though this would probably only work well
          inside. I tried a similar effect using 5 gallon paint buckets. The
          torriodial vortex generated was great but it was small and highly
          directional...which means your aiming has to be spot on. A 50 Gal trash can
          should make a big enough vortex that aiming will be less critical. This
          would be silent as long as you muffled the air cylinder.

          Daniel Neumansky
          Alameda CA

          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 1, 2010
            Or if you had a solenoid that could pluck or tap the membrane across the bottom of the can, that would do it too, and it could be electric vs. air.

            Scott

            For the wind I suggest an air amp or air blade to get the rush of air you
            want
            question is how long of an area will this effect cover, or is it like they
            are passing a doorway in a wall as the phantom blows by?

            _____

            From:
            Technical_Insanity@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Technical_Insanity%40yahoogroups.com><mailto:Technical_Insanity%40yahoogroups.c
            om>

            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 1, 2010
              Ya if you have an elastic membrane you could use something that would pull
              it back like an inch and hold it then let go to create the vortex. Won't a
              solenoid get hot if its kept on for long periods of time?

              In my paint bucket prototype I used EPDM pond liner I had lying around and I
              sandwiched it with to discs of the thin wood they use for door skins. I
              found that this worked better. With a double acting cylinder set it up so
              when the cylinder is retracted its pulling the membrane tight then when the
              cylinder extends it pushes the air out. Don't need a lot of throw to do
              this....for the 50 gal trash can maybe 4"?

              Daniel

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 1, 2010
                I'd say the solenoid can be normally off (extended), then just a quick pull/release to "thump" the membrane.

                Scott

                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 1, 2010
                  I have had to think really long and hard about this. This is an outside haunt and what I want is the groups of people to come up to an old railway crossing. No tracks, just the old rail bed. I know I will need some kind of a 'sky rail' to accomplish this but not sure how or what to use. Also what kind of a motor to drive the workings along this rail, track, whatever you want to call it. In drawing it up I have come up with light poles that I could run this 'track' from. Probably need arms to set them off from the poles to center it over the rail bed. That's as far as I got.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 1, 2010
                    Wow, I never thought of a leaf blower! Thank-you! I have a friend who has pro DJ equipment he's selling right now and the speakers won't be a problem. The train sounds won't either. Just have to get myself out to the mill and wait for a train to pass. Here's another question. For this effect to be realistic, would it be better to have the sounds of a regular diesel engine and a steam engine running together? I know that the old steam engines seem to have a lot more noise where the diesels seem to have more of just the rumble.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 1, 2010
                      Okay, sorry for the stupidity....what is a aura base shaker? I figure it has to be some kind of a speaker but not sure.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 1, 2010
                        Okay, if I understand this you guys are talking about one of those air blaster things they sold at the Halloween stores only on a much bigger scale. Did I at least get this right, lol?

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 1, 2010
                          A bass shaker is a low frequency transducer. Basically a subwoofer without the paper cone. The cone becomes whatever you mount it to like the bottom of a seat or in your case a floor

                          Have a wonderful day

                        • Haunted55
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 1, 2010
                            Oh COOL!!! This I get! Now I see what Daniel was talking about. So anyone standing there would actually vibrate like the cone.
                            A bass shaker is a low frequency transducer. Basically a subwoofer without the paper cone. The cone becomes whatever you mount it to like the bottom of a seat or in your case a floor

                            Have a wonderful day

                            On Jul 1, 2010, at 8:55 PM, "Haunted55" <Haunted55@...> wrote:

                            > Okay, sorry for the stupidity....what is a aura base shaker? I figure it has to be some kind of a speaker but not sure.

                          • Brian Fuelleman
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 1, 2010
                              You might look for a Buttkicker, it is a massive subsonic transducer made for just this kind of thing.
                              As to the question of sounds?
                              I'd use the sounds of an old steam engine, and add the subsonic element to get the shaking or vibration you want.
                              Are you building a train station for the people to stand at? That would give you ample places to use a transducer and also to plant fans and smaller speakers so that the passing train can pan across the TOTs. With the flashing red lights that signal that a train is coming, the ghostly voice announcing the arrival or passing of your train, etc. With a roof overhead it lets you put your fans above with ducts down pointing towards the TOTs. The roof hides the fans, muffles any noise, and also gives you lots of places to plant speakers, lights, etc.

                              There's tons of sound effects stuff out there for trains already, You might look at trains.com, it is a website for train and model train enthusiasts and it has lots of links or knowledgeable people who can help on any of the particular train elements or info. Y

                              ________________________________
                              Oh COOL!!! This I get! Now I see what Daniel was talking about. So anyone standing there would actually vibrate like the cone.
                              A bass shaker is a low frequency transducer. Basically a subwoofer without the paper cone. The cone becomes whatever you mount it to like the bottom of a seat or in your case a floor

                              Have a wonderful day

                              On Jul 1, 2010, at 8:55 PM, "Haunted55" <Haunted55@...> wrote:

                              > Okay, sorry for the stupidity....what is a aura base shaker? I figure it has to be some kind of a speaker but not sure.

                            • Daniel Neumansky
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 1, 2010
                                Ya and parts express has the pro version on sale now.
                                The people standing on the board/path will feel the vibrations thru their
                                feet.

                                http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-028&utm_source=F
                                lyer&utm_medium=Print&utm_content=299-028&utm_campaign=Flyer_10D

                                Daniel
                                Oh COOL!!! This I get! Now I see what Daniel was talking about. So anyone
                                standing there would actually vibrate like the cone.
                                A bass shaker is a low frequency transducer. Basically a subwoofer without
                                the paper cone. The cone becomes whatever you mount it to like the bottom of
                                a seat or in your case a floor

                                Have a wonderful day

                                On Jul 1, 2010, at 8:55 PM, "Haunted55" <Haunted55@...> wrote:

                                > Okay, sorry for the stupidity....what is a aura base shaker? I figure it
                                has to be some kind of a speaker but not sure.

                              • Daniel Neumansky
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 1, 2010
                                  Ya look up vortex cannon on youtube

                                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iUqq2mSsJw&feature=related

                                  Daniel

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 1, 2010
                                    I would have to agree with Brian's comments regarding the type of setup. The last time I built a phantom train I went for the old train station scene. By having a structured space you have so much more you can do. This type of scene is very prop intensive and requires a controlled space. In my train station the guests were on a platform this gave me the entire underfloor for equipment. This included all of my bass shakers and subs to provide the rumble for the train. Keep in mind I was pushing 2000 watt amps to really make things rumble. Not sure what kinda of power you are planning for sound but it takes a lot. The sound system was controlled to roll over transducers place 1 ft apart so the sound actually passed the guests. Of course proper lighting and smells added to the effect. The for the wind I used a sewn cloth tube the was integrated into the ceiling of the train station. The tube had sewn opening along it's length. The the contents of a 120gal compressor would be sent down the tube and would escape in a linear line following the sound from below. The end result a gust of air would rush past the guests standing on the platform. Overall a great effect. Very labour intensive but I would say very well worth it. Of course it's much better if it's incorporated into the overall haunt. Like using it as an entrance portal or something like that. I am really trying to come up with a reasonable way to do it as a free standing open space effect. That's proving tricky knowing how much technical stuff that's needed and needed to be hidden. I'll keep kicking the idea around.

                                    Have a wonderful day