Efforts to save oldest West Coast gay bar

  • Shamey Cramer
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2008
      Please pass this on to everyone you know who might care about this effort.

      --
      Shamey Cramer
      Kincora Productions

      Laguna Beach, CA BOOM BOOM Room preservation

               Steven Udvar-Hazy Asked to Save Gay Bar
      (Embedded image moved to file: pic31441.gif)PR Newswire
                            February 04, 2008: 03:48 PM EST

      Operation Post Card Launched

        LAGUNA BEACH, Calif., Feb. 4 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- SAVE the BOOM!!!  www.savetheboom.com kicked off its 2008 offensive to save the landmark Coast Inn and Boom Boom Room. A winter long campaign gets underway to appeal to Mr. Steven Udvar-Hazy to either reduce his price and sell his property to a buyer who will keep it as a gay establishment, donate it to the city of Laguna Beach or to a newly created Trust that will administer the property.

       Steven F. Udvar-Hazy is the CEO of International Lease Finance Corporation (ILFC) in Los Angeles, and he was ranked the 83rd richest American on the 2007 Forbes list with a net worth of $3.1 billion. ILFC is a wholly-owned division of American International Group, Inc. , the world's largest Insurance and Financial Services Company.

       "Thousands of yellow post cards have been printed and we hope to fill his
        Los Angeles office with them. We will be getting as many people to sign
      and mail them to Mr. Udvar-Hazy as we can until this historic property  returns to the way it has been for over 60 years," stated Fred Karger, Founder of SAVE the BOOM!!!

       The Coast Inn and the Boom Boom Room in which it is located was put up for sale by Mr. Udvar-Hazy in May 2007. There have been scores of interested buyers in discussions with Mr. Udvar-Hazy and his real estate representative, Joe Smith of Monarch Bay Realty, but no sale has taken place.

        "The Coast Inn has 24 rooms and houses
      the oldest gay bar in the Western United States," added Karger. "Our efforts to save our landmark building have been going on for close to 2 years. Mr. Udvar-Hazy is a very generous  man. He donated nearly $70 million dollars to the Smithsonian to create The Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center of The National Air and Space Museum. Now we sincerely hope that he will consider donating the historic building that he owns in Laguna Beach.

      "The donation of the Coast Inn located at 1401 S. Coast Highway could be
      an excellent federal and state tax deduction for him. He would be a hero
      to millions of gays and lesbians across the country who support our
      cause," said Karger.

       "I have sent him several qualified buyers to no avail. The City has a long
       history with the gay community going back more than 100 years when the
       first 40 artists moved to beautiful Laguna Beach between 1903 and 1917. We helped shape this City and we want to stay and be involved with the Laguna where we live and work for the next 100 years.

      "We appeal to Mr. Udvar-Hazy's sense of fairness and kindness and
       generosity to help us SAVE the BOOM - Forever!!!," concluded Karger.

      Anyone interested in helping Operation Post Card, please email
       savetheboom@... or call 949-494-4750