Participate! Newsletter of the Gay Games - July 2012

  • Michael Clark
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2012
      -----Original Message-----
      From: listmanager <listmanager@...>
      To: mrmichaelclark <mrmichaelclark@...>
      Sent: Mon, Jul 23, 2012 4:14 pm
      Subject: Participate! Newsletter of the Gay Games - July 2012

      View it in your browser here or download printable version here

      July 2012Newsletter of the Federation of Gay Games

      Here's a special 2012 Olympics edition of the Participate! Newsletter

      Pride House 2012 is on!
      In our last edition, we announced our goal of creating a Pride House in London during the Olympics. We are very pleased that indeed, a Pride House will take place from 3-12 August at CA House and other venues.
      Major thanks to Lou Englefield of FGG member organization Pride Sports who has led this project, and for the FGG Emy Ritt, in charge of the venue, and from External Affairs Marc Naimark, Kate Rowe and Carl Schultz.We hope to have several FGG volunteers present, including FGG Board members Sonia Abécassis and Shamey Cramer.
      Pride House will display exhibitions from the EGLSF ("Against the Rules") and Jeff Sheng's "Fearless" featuring out student athletes, provided at the request of the FGG's Les Johnson
      Pride House will offer viewing of Olympic events, talks and discussions, video screenings, and various receptions and parties. Outside of CA House, Pride House will offer various sports activities, and a youth day, as well as a celebration for closing ceremony of the Olympics.
      Follow the news on the FGG pages at pridehouse.gaygames.org.
      FGG launches call to action for an end to homophobia in the Olympic movement
      Meeting at Pride House will bring together public and organizations to propose next steps
      The FGG, with the support of fellow partners in Pride House 2012 EGLSF and GLISA, has called for a meeting of individuals and groups interested in concrete action to fight against homophobia in the Olympic movement. Please visit the Pride House website for details: pridehouse2012.org.
      "From Games to Games" an invitation to understanding
      We are pleased to announce "From Games to Games,", a program to encourage the participation of athletes, coaches and staff of the 2012 and 2014 Olympics in Gay Games 9 by waiving registration fees.
      The goal is to build bridges between mainstream sport and LGBT sport, by encouraging athletes and others from mainstream sport to discover our event. These Olympians are role models today, and leaders of sport in the future, so creating these ties is a plus for our movement.
      The program does need to be self funded, and we encourage donors not to forget our scholarship program, which has allowed hundreds of athletes and artists from developing countries to be part of the Gay Games.
      Learn more HERE
      Support Matthew Mitcham!
      Gay Games Ambassador Matthew Mitcham will defend his Olympic gold medal in diving
      The FGG has two Ambassadors competing in the London Olympics, cyclist Judith Arndt and diver Matthew Mitcham. We particularly want to cheer on Matthew to thank him for his recent support for the Gay Games movement.
      To do so, we've created a Facebook page (Support-Matthew-Mitcham-at London-Olympics), which we encourage you to "like.". Please post your messages of encouragement, and why not a video of support?
      We've created our own video for Matthew, produced by Shamey Cramer with support from FGG Board members Marc Naimark and Doug Litwin.
      You can view it HERE
      Out in London 2012: Who Have We Missed?
      The FGG has compiled a list of 25 out athletes, coaches and officials participating in London 2012, which we believe to be the most complete available.
      We have taken advantage of sources in French and English, but think we may be missing some athletes from media in other languages. If you know of any, please email us at blog@... and london2012@..., including your source.
      Thanks in advance for helping us improve our information!
      View the list HERE:
      Registration underway for Gay Games 9
      As you know, base registration is open for Gay Games 9. And a first group of sports, including Aquatics, Basketball and Softball, is also open. Other sport and culture events will be rolled out over the coming weeks.
      Under the new risk-shariing model, the FGG benefits directly from each registration, and to encourage a strong start, a generous donor offered a grant that awards the FGG one dollar for each registration through the end of June, for the first 1,000 registrations made. This grant was not quite used up, and the donor has agreed to extend it to the end of July.
      We encourage you to register now to take advantage of lower prices, and to help they FGG reach this goal of 1,000 registrations by the end of July.
      Visit www.gg9cle.com for the link to registration. See you in Cleveland+Akron in August 2014!
      First phase of bidding for Gay Games X closes
      By the 15 July deadline, no fewer than seven cities responded to our the FGG’s Request for Information for bidders for Gay Games X. The cities are Amsterdam, Limerick, London, Orlando, Paris, Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo. The next step is the release of the Request for Proposal document at the end of July, which describes the requirements for bidding organizations' bid books, which will be due at the end of February 2013. Learn more at 2018.gaygames.org.
      Annual General Assembly set for Sofia
      The FGG will be holding its Annual General Asssembly in Sofia, Bulgaria from 19-21 August, with the support of our member organization Tangra Sport. Despite economic difficulties, we are pleased that we will have a solid quorum, with delegates from around the world participating. The FGG is particularly pleased that every open board position has one or more candidates. Guests are welcome, in particular for our official dinner on Sunday 19 August. Info at gaymes.info/sofia2012
      30th Anniversary of Gay Games - Save the date!

      We're pleased to announce that we'll be honoring the 30th anniversary of Gay Games I later this year, on the weekend of 20-21 October in Los Angeles. The weekend will include a multisport tournament, a family sport night, and an awards brunch at the House of Blues. More details will be announced soon. We hope to see many of the Gay Games family join us as we celebrate the "Games that change the world". If you can help support this event, write Dave Killian dkillian@... and Shamey Cramer scramer@....
      Featured Events
      We're pleased to have as partner events the following tournaments
      7-9 September 2012, Brussels Games, Brussels, Belgium
      Brussels Gay Sports will offer a weekend of fun and fair play in the capital of Europe, with volleyball, swimming, badminton, and tennis, as well as fitness and hiking.
      Learn more HERE.
      26-28 October 2012, QueergamesBern, Bern, Switzerland
      The success of the first edition of the QueergamesBern proved the need for an LGBT multisport event in Switzerland. This year will be even bigger, with badminton, bowling, running, walking, floorball.
      Learn more HERE.
      17-20 January 2013, Sin City Shootout, Las Vegas, USA
      The 7th Sin City Shootout will feature softball, ice hockey, tennis, wrestling, basketball, dodgeball, bodybuilding and basketball.
      Learn more HERE.
      13-16 June 2013, IGLFA Euro Cup, Dublin, Ireland
      After this year's edition in Budapest at the EuroGames, the IGLFA Euro Cup heads to Dublin for 2013, hosted by the Dublin Devils and the Dublin Phoenix Tigers.
      Learn more HERE.

      Gay Games Links & Resources
      FGG website: gaygames.org
      Shop for Amazon or FGG-specific mechandise: shop.gaygames.org
      Gay Games 9 Cleveland website: gg9cle.com
      Gay Games 9 Cleveland Facebook: facebook.com/gaygamescleveland
      Gay Games 9
      Cleveland Twitter: @GayGamesClev

      Contact us about our newsletters at blog@...
      Contact us about other issues at info@...

      If you do not want to receive any more FGG updates visit this link

      To update your preferences and to unsubscribe visit this link
      Forward a Message to Someone this link