160Fwd: GLSIA-NA Spring Update eNews

  • Michael Clark
    May 13, 2013

      -----Original Message-----
      From: GLISA-NA eNews <glisanorthamerica@...>
      To: mrmichaelclark@...
      Sent: Fri, May 10, 2013 3:14 pm
      Subject: GLSIA-NA Spring Update eNews

      Updates on: President's Message | worldOutgames 2013 | Emerald City Hoedown | Miami Beach Gay Pride
      View this email in your browser
      Forward to Friend
      May 10, 2013 - GLISA-NA eNews
      Spring has arrived at GLISA North America.  We are excited to share with you some news stories / events we thought you would be interested in.

      Letter from the President

      Happy Spring!
      It is a great honor that I have been elected as the President of GLISA North America. I thank you all for your support.
      I also want to celebrate the election of Duy Ngo, Vice- President, Victor Elkins, Treasurer, Diane Smith, Secretary, Gordon Dunbar, Debbie Storrs and Clinton Brown. With my election as President, we now have a new Past President in Brad Bostock. Congratulations everyone!
      I also want to welcome to the GLISA NA family the Miami Mavericks and the Miami Gay Men’s Chorus. Both clubs were admitted and have full voting rights. Congratulations!
      Well this year has already been a whirlwind…same- sex marriage popping up every where, equal rights being established and professional sport celebs coming out. Who knew we could ever be this progressive in North America? The US is quickly catching up to our brothers and sisters in Canada. It’s about time and it is certainly a welcomed change.
      I hope everyone is getting ready for a full summer with the presentation of the 3rd World Outgames Antwerp 2013. I am so ready!!
      I am also doing a lot of traveling for the 4th World Outgames Miami Beach- Miami 2017 as we have been invited by quite a few governments in the Caribbean, Central and South America to give presentations on the World Outgames movement. These presentations will not only give us the opportunity to spread the word about the Miami Beach- Miami hosts, but it will also allow me to connect with leaders of the regions to spark the beginning of GLISA South America. All very exciting!!
      This Board is committed to the GLISA movement and we will be bringing on some exciting changes within the year. If you have any feedback or questions, please do not hesitate to contact me or any Board member.
      Wishing you all the Best Summer Ever!
      All the Best from Our Sun- Kissed Paradise,
      During the Miami Beach Gay Pride parade, the organizers of the 4th World Outgames Miami Beach- Miami 2017 supported the 3rd World Outgames Antwerp 2013 uniquely. The 12 cycling “party cycle” was a hit with everyone. The crew was joined by Commissioner Deede Weithorn of the City of Miami Beach. It was a lot of fun and there was plenty of eye- openers for the 15 block parade. The front banner was from Antwerp and the rear banner (not shown) proudly displayed the just approved 4th World Outgames logo. Photo courtesy of Mark's List
      This Memorial Day Weekend (May 23–27), Seattle's Rain Country DanceEmerald City hoedown May 23-27 Association is hosting the Emerald City Hoedown, also the 20th annual convention hoedown of the International Association of Gay/Lesbian Country Western Dance Clubs. GLBTQ country-western dancers from all over North America will be attending, with over 350 attendees expected at the height of the weekend — the largest IAGLCWDC convention hoedown in many years. The event will benefit local charities Camp Ten Trees, providing summer camp for GLBTQ youth and those from GLBTQ families, and PFLAG of Seattle, earmarking funds to serve non-metro and rural areas in Washington state.
      The weekend features over 50 dance workshops and education forums — everything from two-step and line dance classes to cowboy boot care and how to make your club a non-profit — with 30 instructors, including world-class names such as John Lindo, Michael Barr, Michele Burton, Ari Levitt, and Judy McDonald. In addition to three full days of classes, there are four nights of dancing, with breakout rooms dedicated to swing and line dancing as well as country couples dancing. The weekend also plays host to the IAGLCWDC championship dance competition, featuring competitions in seven couples dance styles, line dancing, and dance teams.
      And if that's not enough, Rain Country has set up a number of social events during the weekend, ranging from morning and late night snacks to dedicated social hours for both women and men, on to a whale watching tour, a wine and chocolate tasting tour, and a city landmarks dance tour of the downtown Seattle core — line dancing at Pike Place Market, swing dancing at the Space Needle, and so forth. Seattle is a major vacation destination, and Rain Country wants their attendees to be able to take good advantage of what Seattle has to offer.
      Weekend package registration is available for $139, and various smaller packages — day passes, evening dances, and single workshops — will be available at the event. For full details on the event, please visit http://www.emeraldcityhoedown.com.

      Pride Fest St. Louis

      Team Saint Louis is gearing up for the 34th annual Pride Fest St. Louis, June 29 – 30th in downtown St. Louis! TSL hosts and manages “Athlete’s Village”, an interactive element that engages attendees and, places all the sports organizations and vendors in one area.  Festival-goers can test their skills on the rock climbing wall, ride the mechanical bull managed by Gateway Gay Rodeo Association, run in the Pride 5k hosted by St. Louis Frontrunners, compete in the Pride Grass Volleyball Tournament or, cycle in the inaugural Pride Ride, managed by TSL Cycling.
      This year’s festival theme will be “Celebrate The Past To Awaken The Future.” In celebrating Pride’s theme, TSL congratulates our very own Betty Neeley and Tom Walsh.  Betty has been a part of TSL and the St. Louis LGBT community for decades and, will be celebrated in the Parade as Grand Marshall.  Tom will be receiving the Felton T. Day Community Service award for demonstrating the spirit of community service and dedication.  Tom served as TSL President for 10 years, and began or, co-founded many of the LGBT sports in the St. Louis community.  TSL is honored to have Betty and Tom as our teammates!
      As a precursor to Pride, TSL is partnering with Opera Theatre of St. Louis for the world premiere of the jazz opera, Champion. The opera, composed by Grammy Award Winner, Terence Blanchard and Pulizter Prize-winning playwright, Michael Cristofer, is inspired by the true story of World Welterweight, Emile Griffith, who claimed the title of Champion in a fatal 1962 fight.  The secret he kept of his sexuality would only come to light after he retired from the ring, when he himself became the victim of an attack outside a New York City gay bar.  The opera Champion is a world premiere about strength, courage and forgiveness.
      In February, TSL co-sponsored the panel discussion Out for the Count: A Legacy in Athletes which featured:  composer Terence Blanchard, opera star Aubrey Allicock, Hudson Taylor, Athlete Ally Executive Director; Philip Deitch, TSL Athlete and St. Louis community activitist and; Greg Larocque, former GLISA-NA President. The discussion explored the legacy of LGBT athletes in America culture.

      The Antwerp conference on LGBT human rights

      Our world is changing, and it is changing everywhere. In the south LGBT activists have the difficult task of obtaining basic rights and recognition in front of strong homophobia: too many countries keep their distance regarding the evolution of rights for the LGBT community. However, even in the south, especially in South America, things are moving quickly and in the right direction. In the north we find a patchwork of improvement, such as in France or in the USA, mixed with terrible regression in many countries, with Russia being a prime example of this deterioration.
      The worldOutgames Antwerp 2013 (WOGA) leaders have decided that at the Antwerp Conference the MIGRATION theme will also integrate into TRANSITION. Transition is an illustration of the changing picture of LGBT issues around the world.  We are certain that in Antwerp we will draft a type of 'vademecum' (or reference book) to help build more links, and thereby increase networking between our communities of LGBT activists. The Antwerp outcome on Human LGBT Rights will also reflect both southern as well as northern concerns, since we are ONE community.
      The conference will be held from 31 July to 2 August at the Radisson Blu Hotel in the center of Antwerp just across from the Central Station. Mid-May the Conference Program will be launched. Visit our website from 15 May onwards, and subscribe to WOGA newsletter for more information.

      Some cultural highlights during the worldOutgames

      The spectacular Opening Ceremony of the Antwerp worldOutgames on Saturday 3 August will take place on the biggest open-air square of Antwerp, a great podium with a specially designed 'A' catwalk (our city logo) will host a fabulous show with international entertainment. Of course the traditional parade of the + 5000 athletes from more than 80 countries with national flags will give this opening a dazzling start.
      Our Family Day for all LGBT parents and their kids will take place on the Left Bank, next to the only true city beach. Entertainment for the youngest and an urban sports initiation for teenagers will, together with a tasty BBQ, give everyone a great afternoon on Sunday 4 August.
      We'll stage spectacular theatre shows during your stay in Antwerp at two of our most frequented theatres: Elckerlijc and Fakkel:
      • The Mr Gay World Grand Finale, where 25-35 delegates from around the world will compete to become the next Mr Gay World 2013, surrounded by singers and dancers in an international musical show (4 August)
      • Mask'ara will bring you the best drag show in town (7 August)
      • Eurovision @ WOGA will bring the best of the European Song Contest: come and join the very best of Eurovision by worldOutgames competitors, judged by past international Eurovision legends while putting on an amazing show. Do know that for this we are also still welcoming great talents to join us on stage (8 August)
      • Choir Gala: several choirs will be at their best in this great entertaining show (9 August)
      • No Nonsense brings four great female performers together while bringing the best of rock, pop, R&B (6, 7 August)
      • The Party is Over is a tribute to ten of the greatest female singers: 'It's better to burn out then to fade away' (8, 9 August)