RE: [TaxoCoP] Auto-categorization tools

  • barbara_mcglamery@timeinc.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Apr 7 10:15 AM

      Does Endeca do auto-categorization?  I thought they were just search optimization software.  From what I understood, they need pre-existing metadata to create the Guided Navigation.

      barbara mcglamery  sr. librarian, ontology development  time inc. interactive 212.522.9198 im:babsmcglamery

      Message 2 of 29 , Apr 7 10:25 AM
        I use Synaptica quite a bit, and as far as I know there are no auto-categorization functions.

        This message thread had earlier included the topic of "tools that help manage your taxonomy" in addition to more specific auto-categorization tools. So, perhaps Chris was responding to the earlier query for "tools that help you manage your taxonomy."

        In either case, there is also a growing listing of tools on the new Taxonomy Community of Practice Wiki:   http://taxocop.wikispaces.com/TaxoTools
        Now we just need someone the categorize the list among those tools that offer auto-categorization or other features.

        --Heather

        Heather Hedden
        Hedden Information Management
        Carlisle, MA

        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 7 10:25 AM
          I did a lot of research on this topic a couple of years ago, and very few vendors sold their auto-categorization tools as stand-alone entities.  They may be sold as options; i.e., Verity's Intelligent Classifier and Convera's Knowledge Workbench, but, I'm not aware that they are sold separately.

          I've used Inxight 's taxonomy development module quite a lot in the last few months, and it seems to be hardwired to other product functions.

          Interwoven's Metatagger will definitely stand alone, but Interwoven waffles about whether they want to sell it independently.

          More recent information would be great.

          Thanks,

          Marcia

          Marcia Morante
          KCurve, Inc.
          (718)881-5915 - office
          (917)821-2087 - mobile
          http://kcurve.com

          Message 4 of 29 , Apr 7 10:51 AM
            Be careful with this list.  It was done at least 5 years ago.

            Semio technology was taken over by Entrieva.
            Purple Yogi changed its name to  Stratify
            Sageware is out of business

            Also,
            Factiva acquired Synaptica recently, and no, it doesn't do auto-categorization.
            LexisNexis supplies categorized news content, but it doesn't sell software for doing it yourself.

            Marcia Morante
            KCurve, Inc.
            (718)881-5915 - office
            (917)821-2087 - mobile
            http://kcurve.com

            Message 5 of 29 , Apr 7 6:06 PM

              We looked at Endeca in depth. Really cool tool. It does auto-categorization. It can derive structure where none exist and also utilizes existing metadata.

              Omnifind (IBM), Fast Search & Transfer, SPSS (Lexiquest), SER, SAS text miner are others that come to mind.

              Interesting you put Vivisimo in the same category. They do not categorize into an existing structure but cluster information on the fly based on the text and metadata received in a search result. All other tools is see in the category entity extraction and/or categorization in the sense of text-taxonomy association.

              Karin

              email: lfarmer@...

              --
              Karin

            • Amanda Xu
              Message 6 of 29 , Apr 7 6:59 PM
                Back in the year of 2000, I saw demos of auto and
                semi_auto categorization by portal vendors such as
                Hummingbird, Plumtree, and by intelligent text
                processing vendors such as TextWise.

                If you are interested in developing taxonomy
                applications in the medical field, try Apelon,
                formerly called Lexical Technology,and JARG.com.

                In addition, a good starting point for finding players
                in the IR and IE field is to go to TREC.NIST.GOV.

                These are just a few vendors coming to my mind at the
                moment.

                Amanda Xu

                <spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma'>-----Original

                TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com[mailto:TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com]

                www.autonomy.com>*<spanstyle='color:#001FDD;font-weight:bold'>http://www.autonomy.com**<FONTCOLOR="#001C84">
                > (Includes Verity)*
                >
                > *<FONTSIZE=2 face="Courier

                New">Convera*<spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier
                > New?'>: <AHREF="HTTP: ?
                > www.convera.com><spanstyle='font-family:"Times
                > Roman?;color:#001FDD' New>http://www.convera.com
                >
                > *<FONTSIZE=2 face="Courier New">Data

                Harmony*<spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier

                www.dataharmony.com><spanstyle='color:#001FDD'>http://www.dataharmony.com

                www.entrieva.com>*<spanstyle='color:#001FDD;font-weight:bold'>http://www.entrieva.com*

                www.interwoven.com>*<spanstyle='color:#001FDD;font-weight:bold'>http://www.interwoven.com*

                > *<FONTSIZE=2 face="Courier New"
                > color="#001c84">Inxight: *<FONTSIZE=2 face="Courier
                > New"><AHREF="HTTP: ?
                > www.inxight.com>*http://www.inxight.com*
                >
                > *<FONTSIZE=2 face="Courier New"
                > color="#001c84">Nstein Technologies: *<FONTSIZE=2
                > face="Courier New"><AHREF="HTTP: ?
                > www.nstein.com>*http://www.nstein.com*
                >
                > *<FONTSIZE=2 face="Courier New"
                > color="#001c84">SchemaLogic: *<FONTSIZE=2
                > face="Courier New"><AHREF="HTTP: ?
                > schemalogic.com>*http://schemalogic.com*
                >
                > *<FONTSIZE=2 face="Courier New">Siderean:
                > *<spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier
                > New?'><AHREF="HTTP: ?
                > www.siderean.com>http://www.siderean.com
                >
                > *<FONTSIZE=2 face="Courier

                New">Smartlogik:*<spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier

                www.aprsmartlogik.com><spanstyle='color:#001FDD'>http://www.aprsmartlogik.com

                www.teragram.com>*<spanstyle='color:#001FDD;font-weight:bold'>http://www.teragram.com*

                > *<FONTSIZE=2 face="Courier New"
                > color="#001c84">Vivisimo: *<FONTSIZE=2 face="Courier
                > New"><AHREF="HTTP: ?
                > vivisimo.com>*http://vivisimo.com*
                >
                > *<FONTSIZE=2 face="Courier New"
                > color="#001c84">Wordmap: *<FONTSIZE=2 face="Courier
                > New"><AHREF="HTTP: ?
                > www.wordmap.com>*http://www.wordmap.com*
                >
                > <spanstyle='font-size:9.0pt;font-family:Helvetica'>
                >

                > <spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier
                > New?'>Regards,
                >
                > <spanstyle='font-size:9.0pt;font-family:Helvetica'>
                >

                > <spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier
                > New?'>Linda Farmer
                >
                > <spanstyle='font-size:9.0pt;font-family:Helvetica'>
                >

                > <spanstyle='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:"Courier
                > New?'>Second
                === message truncated ===

                Amanda Xu
                58-11 197th St.
                Fresh Meadows, NY 11365
                718-990-6716 (voice)
                axu789@... (email)

                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 29 , Apr 8 3:54 AM

                  Not sure if anyone mentioned Teragram.  Their algorithms are part of FAST and Verity.

                  I had also thought of Endeca as primarily to leverage existing metadata.

                  I would like to do a series of conference calls on search technologies.  The challenge is getting good case studies without having the vendors present (invariably the lapse into vendor pitch mode… - even when they are given strict instructions not to do so.)

                  Perhaps we can post something on the wiki  Anyone interested in sharing their experiences with the tools that have been mentioned?

                  The topic for the May Taxo con call will be “To Google or Not to Google”…  Who has done a Google eval who’d like to share?

                  Earley & Associates, Inc

                  781-444-0287

                  781-820-8080 cell

                  Next taxo conference call April 26th, 2 PM EST
                  "Metrics and Measurement"

                  Registration and agenda at www.earley.com/events.htm

                  Taxonomy Community of Practice

                  Social Network Analysis Community of Practice

                  Message 8 of 29 , Apr 8 12:43 PM

                    Hi

                    I saw this tool, this is also good one.

                    Grokker has changed the search environment by using data clustering and improved graphics.

                    http://www.grokker.com/

                    I got results from Grokker Search like this:

                    https://beta.grokker.com /grokker.html?query=Bhojaraju &Yahoo=true&Wikipedia=true &numResults=250

                    Thanks and Regards

                    Bhojaraju G
                    Lead - Knowledge Management
                    LinkedIn:
                    https://www.linkedin.com/in/bhojarajug
                    Skype Me:        bhojarajug

                    --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Linda Farmer <lfarmer@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Becky,
                    >
                    > Here is a list of auto-categorization tools which usually incorporate
                    > various degrees of taxonomy management. Some CMS vendors fold in
                    > auto-categorization functionality into their products (e.g. Stellent)
                    > but are not included here. This list includes only those tools which
                    > offer their auto-categorization/taxonomy management products as stand-
                    > alone or linkable to other applications through APIs. Schemalogic is
                    > not an auto-categorization tool but provides very powerful and
                    > comprehensive metadata and taxonomy management that serves up
                    > taxonomies and metadata to applications like auto-categorization and
                    > CMS.
                    >
                    > Could well be I've missed some auto-categorization/taxonomy tool out
                    > there. Those in the know, please let me know so we can build a
                    > complete list. Perhaps the list should be broadened to include other
                    > applications that incorporate significant auto-categorization and
                    > taxonomy management features into their product mix e.g. IBM, Inmagic
                    > products. Note: Stratify (http://www.stratify.com) is a major vendor
                    > of this type of tool but is now focusing on the legal domain.
                    >

                    > Auto-Categorization Tools
                    >

                    > Autonomy: http://www.autonomy.com (Includes Verity)
                    >
                    > Convera: http://www.convera.com
                    >
                    > Data Harmony: http://www.dataharmony.com
                    >
                    > Endeca: http://endeca.com
                    >
                    > Entrieva: http://www.entrieva.com
                    >
                    > Interwoven: http://www.interwoven.com
                    >
                    > Inxight: http://www.inxight.com
                    >
                    > Nstein Technologies: http://www.nstein.com
                    >
                    > SchemaLogic: http://schemalogic.com
                    >
                    > Siderean: http://www.siderean.com
                    >
                    > Smartlogik: http://www.aprsmartlogik.com
                    >
                    > Teragram: http://www.teragram.com
                    >
                    > Vivisimo: http://vivisimo.com
                    >
                    > Wordmap: http://www.wordmap.com
                    >

                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Linda Farmer
                    >
                    > Second Knowledge Solutions
                    > http://k2s.ca
                    > email: lfarmer@...
                    > voice: 905-465-3387
                    >

                    > On 6-Apr-06, at 12:36 PM, Becky Sherman wrote:
                    > I wanted to know what products or tools do you currently have that
                    > help you manage your taxonomy? I heard someone talking about Data
                    > Harmony and wanted to know what other companies do this type of stuff
                    > - as I am trying to learn about what is out there because we don't
                    > have a really knowledge management area or tools in the enterprise -
                    > so data is everywhere. All help is good help - b

                  • Foye, Chris
                    Message 9 of 29 , Apr 8 2:17 PM
                      All,

                      Apologies, Heather is right - I was responding to the point about tools for taxonomy management as opposed to auto-categorization.

                      Brgds

                      Chris

                      Message 10 of 29 , Apr 10 1:47 AM
                        I have used NetOwl back in the late '90 for named
                        entity extraction and text summarization. It supports
                        XML/OWL:

                        http://www.netowl.com/products/extractor.html

                        Amanda Xu

                        Amanda Xu
                        58-11 197th St.
                        Fresh Meadows, NY 11365
                        718-990-6716 (voice)
                        axu789@... (email)

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • Karin Schneider
                        Message 11 of 29 , Apr 13 7:36 AM

                          Seth,

                          I think it is a fabulous idea to do a series on search engine tools and their auto-categorization capabilities. I'd volunteer to talk about our Vivisimo installation at one of the conf calls.

                          Karin

                          --- Seth Earley <seth@...> wrote:

                          > Not sure if anyone mentioned Teragram.  Their
                          > algorithms are part !
                          of FAST
                          > and Verity.
                          >

                          > I had also thought of Endeca as primarily to
                          > leverage existing metadata.
                          >

                          > I would like to do a series of conference calls on
                          > search technologies.  The
                          > challenge is getting good case studies without
                          > having the vendors present
                          > (invariably the lapse into vendor pitch mode. - even
                          > when they are given
                          > strict instructions not to do so.)
                          >

                          > Perhaps we can post something on the wiki  Anyone
                          > interested in sharing
                          > their experiences with the tools that have been
                          > mentioned?
                          >

                          > The topic for the May Taxo con call will be "To
                          > Google or Not to Google".
                          > Who has done a Google eval who'd like to share?
                          >

                          > Seth
                          >
                          >&n!
                          bsp;

                          > Seth Earley
                          >
                          > Earley & Asso
                          ciates, Inc

                          > 781-444-0287
                          >
                          > 781-820-8080 cell
                          >
                          > Next taxo conference call April 26th, 2 PM EST
                          > "Metrics and Measurement"
                          >
                          > Registration and agenda at
                          > <http://www.earley.com/events.htm>
                          > www.earley.com/events.htm
                          >
                          > Taxonomy Community of Practice

                          > Social Network Analysis Community of Practice

                          ac/

                          >   _____

                          &! gt; other tools is see in the
                          > category entity extraction and/o
                          r categorization in
                          > the sense of
                          > text-taxonomy association.
                          >
                          > Karin

                                      Amanda Xu
                            58-11 197th St.
                          Fresh Meadows, NY 11365
                          718-990-6716 (voice)
                          axu789@... (email)

                          http://mail.yahoo.com

                          --
                          Karin

                          kostenguenstig. Jetzt gleich testen! http://f.web.de/?mc=021192</ A>
                          Message 12 of 29 , Apr 13 8:59 AM

                            Excellent.  Consider yourself booked…  I have Christine Connors doing something on Google.  Any other takers?  What other tools are people interested in?  Omnifind? Teragram? Autonomy? FAST? …

                            Seth

                            ----

                            Seth,

                            I think it is a fabulous idea to do a series on search engine tools and their auto-categorization capabilities. I'd volunteer to talk about our Vivisimo installation at one of the conf calls.

                            Karin

                          • Kathryn La Barre
                            Message 13 of 29 , Apr 13 9:05 AM
                              Consider this a vote for FAST - most definitely.

                              Thanks,

                              Kathryn
                            • kate.simpson@freshfields.com
                              Message 14 of 29 , Apr 13 9:17 AM
                                Seth spoke:

                                > What other tools are people interested in?
                                ---------------

                                I'm interested in SchemaLogic and Interse autocategorisation tools (as we're looking at their taxo mgt tools at the mo). Bundled vs unbundled tools perhaps?

                                Kate

                                This e-mail is confidential and may well also be legally privileged. If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status.  Please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system.  Please do not copy it or use it for any purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person:  to do so could be a breach of confidence.  Thank you for your co-operation.  Please contact our IT Helpdesk on +44 (0) 20 7936 4000 Ext.2000 or email ITHelp@... if you need assistance.This e-mail is confidential and may well also be legally privileged.  If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status.  Please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your
                                +44 (0) 20 7936 4000 Ext.2000 or email Help@... if you need assistance.Please refer to http://www.freshfields.com/legalnotice/uk.asp for regulatory information relating to the provision of insurance mediation services.

                                Message 15 of 29 , Apr 13 12:06 PM

                                  Seth Speaks:

                                  OK.  Any Schemalogic users want to present on a call?  I am not familiar with Interse.  Anyone have hands on experience with it?

                                  Seth

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Apr 13 12:16 PM

                                      SchemaLogic's SchemaServer doesn't do auto-categorization. You could hook it up to something else that does. It is a metadata registry (NOT to be confused with a repository!) that helps organizations get to semantic interoperability of systems by registering and mapping elements and vocabularies.

                                      Which is not to say we couldn't do a session about it; it just doesn't fall into the search or auto-categorization bucket.

                                      Cheers!
                                      Christine
                                      Raytheon
                                      Christine JM Connors
                                      Metadata Architect

                                      Raytheon Company
                                      Information Technology
                                      600 Technology Park Drive
                                      M/S RTN-2S119
                                      P.O. Box 7038
                                      Billerica, MA 01821
                                      978.436.3195 voice
                                      978.436.3205 fax
                                      508.314.2824 cell
                                      Christine_Connors@...

                                      "Seth Earley" <seth@...>
                                      Sent by: TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com

                                      04/13/2006 03:06 PM

                                      Please respond to
                                      TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com

                                      <TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com>
                                      cc
                                      Subject
                                      RE: [TaxoCoP] Auto-categorization tools

                                      Seth Speaks:

                                      OK.  Any Schemalogic users want to present on a call?  I am not familiar with Interse.  Anyone have hands on experience with it?

                                      Seth

                                      > What other tools are people interested in?
                                      ---------------

                                      I'm interested in SchemaLogic and Interse autocategorisation tools (as we're looking at their taxo mgt tools at the mo). Bundled vs unbundled tools perhaps?

                                      Kate

                                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Apr 13 12:24 PM

                                        Yes, correct….  I actually took that to mean SL and autocat tools (as in two separate types of tools) but it does look like these were being considered as one.  Kate, is that what you were thinking?

                                        Seth

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Apr 13 12:29 PM

                                          When we went through a search engine evaluation that included FAST we also made reference calls.

                                          One very helpful and experienced source was:

                                          Marc Krellenstein
                                          +1 617 438 0273
                                          M.krellenstein@...
                                          He is based in the Burlington, MA office

                                          If interested I can reach out to him and see whether he'd be willing to talk to this group.

                                          Karin

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Apr 13 12:50 PM

                                            That would be great.  Perhaps you can connect with Marc and see if he’ll chat with me about being a presenter.

                                            Thanks

                                            Seth

                                            Karin Schneider

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Apr 14 6:59 AM

                                              Hi Seth,

                                              Will do. Do we have a framework of what we want them to talk about? It'll help setting expectations. Come to think about it they might not be the best to talk about the categorization part, but I can ask.

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Apr 14 11:50 AM
                                                Agilense EA Modeler

                                                Amanda Xu

                                                --- Seth Earley <seth@...> wrote:

                                                > Excellent. Consider yourself booked. I have
                                                > Christine Connors doing
                                                > something on Google. Any other takers? What other
                                                > tools are people
                                                > interested in? Omnifind? Teragram? Autonomy? FAST?
                                                > .
                                                >

                                                > Seth
                                                >

                                                > _____
                                                >
                                                > ----
                                                >
                                                > Seth,
                                                >
                                                > I think it is a fabulous idea to do a series on
                                                > search engine tools and
                                                > their auto-categorization capabilities. I'd
                                                > volunteer to talk about our
                                                > Vivisimo installation at one of the conf calls.
                                                >
                                                > Karin

                                                Amanda Xu
                                                58-11 197th St.
                                                Fresh Meadows, NY 11365
                                                718-990-6716 (voice)
                                                axu789@... (email)

                                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                                              • Kelly Green
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Apr 25 8:45 AM
                                                  i411 also provides a faceted guided search, much like Siderean.
                                                  http://www.i411.com/i411/products/index.jsp

                                                • dan_chamberlain@dom.com
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Apr 25 11:40 AM
                                                    Does anyone have any experience using the Interwoven Auto-categorization
                                                    tool? If so, would you mind sharing your experience?

                                                    Interwoven: http://www.interwoven.com

                                                    Dan Chamberlain
                                                    Sr. Systems Architect
                                                    Dominion Resources Services, Inc.
                                                    701 East Cary Street,
                                                    Richmond, VA 23219
                                                    804-771-4629 or 8-736-4629

                                                    CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic message contains
                                                    express written confirmation to that effect. The information is
                                                    by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended
                                                    contents of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If
                                                    in error, and delete it. Thank you.