FW: File - Welcome to the Taxonomy Community of Practice

  • heather.strickland@spectrum-health.org
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20 2:09 PM
      Hello,

      I am the Document/Knowledge Management analyst at a regional healthcare firm located in Western Michigan. We are at the very beginning stages of document management/knowledge management/taxonomy/etc. We have a very primitive, mostly homegrown intranet and an evolving extranet. We are in the planning stages of replacing our intra/internet environment with a third-party CMS platform. We are in the early stages of implementing Windows SharePoint Services and are about to begin evaluating SharePoint Portal Server. We have bazillions of Outlook Public Folders and Windows-based File Shares. We do NOT have enterprise search nor search capabilities on our intranet. We are drowning in information, but we don't know what it is nor how to find it (no enterprise-wise taxonomy nor metadata framework). With the new CMS coming and SharePoint usage growing, we know that we need, enterprise-wide, at LEAST the following:

      * information architecture (what goes where & how to get it there) -- we have started planning
      * taxonomy -- we are starting with a third-party healthcare taxonomy & customizing where necessary
      * metadata guidelines and enforced capture/storage via CMS & Office 2003 (including SharePoint)
      * enterprise search -- we have purchased a cheap Google appliance, but are investigating guided navigational options, SharePoint Portal Server search, as well as other enterprise search solutions
      * a roles-based organizational structure implemented via our soon to be enabled Active Directory framework -- we have started planning

      Thanks for having me in the TaxoCoP. I look forward to the enlightenment I am sure is to come over the next months.

      Heather Deane Strickland
      Document & Knowledge Management Analyst
      Technology & Information Solutions (TIS)
      heather.strickland@... <mailto:heather.strickland@...>
      (616)486-4276
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 21 10:50 AM

        Heather,

        Start with the end in mind.

        When you’re overwhelmed with information, as most organizations are – private sector, government, non-profits – the first thing to focus on is defining the purpose of these web services.  Technology is supposed to be a set of tools to increase the functional capacity of people.  Many times organizations focus too closely on a specific CMS, RM/DM solution without strategically planning the purpose of these services prior to buying the best tool to manage the processes accordingly.

        Ask the questions: “What is the purpose of our Internet” / “What is the purpose of our Intranet?” / “What is the purpose of our Extranet?”  These seem like simple questions, but I’m guessing you will find that people struggle to provide an answer.

        Ask all those involved in the creation of these web services; take detailed notes.  From these notes, group the main purposes of each into parent level categories.  This can then act as a starting point for the business model for these web services.  You are essentially limiting choice to create operationally efficient / effective web service(s).

        (A great discussion on the power of limiting choice can be found here: http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detail252.html  Barry Schwartz discusses the power of limiting in choice in the information age – an age where choice is so abundant that we are actually less satisfied with the decisions we make today then a generation or two ago.)

        This also helps you define what content you want to keep (this is the content which will be the basis of your taxonomy / metadata strategy), which can be archived, and the which you can simply delete.  Reviewing the mountain of content becomes a process of matching said content into appropriate categories.  As you review the content, you can also start to build a common vocabulary (see attached Excel spreadsheet – taken from tools section on IA Institute’s site.)

        Before entering the world of IT, I worked front line and in a managerial / director capacity for various health care organizations in Toronto .  The focus was on developing cognitive, physical, and behavioral rehabilitation programs for clients with acquired brain injuries.  The mountain of information for each individual client was overwhelming at the best of times; so I can appreciate your feeling like you’re drowning in content with this initiative with Spectrum-Health.

        If you’d like to brainstorm some of these or other ideas further, please feel free to contact me.

        Cheers,

        Jeff Parks

        Chief Information Architect

        I.A. Consultants

        jeff.parks@...

        http://www.iaconsultants.ca

        Phone 613-761-7724

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 23, 2008

          I recently joined your group and would like to introduce myself.

          Meeting Professionals International is a non-profit global meetings and events community whose focus is educating meeting professionals (our members) about the meetings industry.  Part of my job is to tag educational content on our site, thereby making it easier for our members to find.  I’m new to this position, so am still learning about taxonomy and best practices.  I have a library, education and technology background and am looking forward to learning as much as I can and in turn sharing what I know.

          Thanks,

          Marj Atkinson
          Research Librarian/Digital Curator
          Meeting Professionals International (MPI)

          www.mpiweb.org

          3030 LBJ Freeway - Suite 1700 , Dallas , Texas   75234
          (972-406-6516  Ê972-406-6616   + matkinson@...

          You can send this to TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com