Question for Christine

  • Victoria
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2005
      Hi Christine,

      I listened to your presentation today during the Taxonomy Governance
      Conference Call. Well done! I have a few follow-up questions for you.
      Is Raytheon using the taxonomy just for their intranet, or is there a
      taxonomy for the public internet as well? I was hoping to look at the
      public website to see some of the taxonomy implementations that you
      mentioned in the presentation.

      I noticed on the Raytheon public website that the search engine is
      Google. Does that mean Verity is just on the intranet site? What was
      the rationale for using each of these search engines?

      Thank you,
      Victoria
    • Christine Connors
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 30, 2005
        Hi -

        You won't see evidence of the taxonomies on
        Raytheon.com. The contributors to the CMS system that
        powers the internet site had no tolerance for tagging,
        so only do what the system auto-generates. I may have
        a chance soon to get them to reconsider that decision
        - wish me luck!

        Yeah, Google on the internet. Verity on the intranet.
        It's been that way for a couple of years. When we last
        renewed our contract it came down to this: Google's
        algorithm DID NOT work well behind the firewall on a
        large set of content. We tried it. Verity far
        out-performed in that environment. But Google was a
        household name and politically powerful. So we put it
        on the internet site where the content was small
        enough that it worked ok. Good results, good price,
        and STABLE. Great for small sites and IT groups that
        don't have the time and just need a "toaster." It
        doesn't do taxonomies (though I do believe the current
        algorithms have an embedded ontology). The GSA does
        use metadata though and has several other features,
        like synonyms, that try to get at classification.

        Thanks for listening today, I appreciate the feedback!
        Christine

        --- Victoria <victoria.chidester@...> wrote:

        > Hi Christine,
        >
        > I listened to your presentation today during the
        > Taxonomy Governance
        > Conference Call. Well done! I have a few follow-up
        > questions for you.
        > Is Raytheon using the taxonomy just for their
        > intranet, or is there a
        > taxonomy for the public internet as well? I was
        > hoping to look at the
        > public website to see some of the taxonomy
        > implementations that you
        > mentioned in the presentation.
        >
        > I noticed on the Raytheon public website that the
        > search engine is
        > Google. Does that mean Verity is just on the
        > intranet site? What was
        > the rationale for using each of these search
        > engines?
        >
        > Thank you,
        > Victoria

        Yahoo! Music Unlimited