Re: [TaxoCoP] The state of information organisation - what has changed in the last 12 months (and what hasn't)?

  • Donna M. Fritzsche
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 18, 2013
      Hi Matt,
      Well, first and foremost, I would say that since Edward Snowden's actions - metadata is now almost a household word. Certainly, people that pay close attention to the news know it.
      - Donna Fritzsche

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 18, 2013
        Mainstreaming of knowledge graphs, graph-based search, Google's index cards

        Partner
        Tel: +65 62210383

        On Sep 18, 2013, at 6:23 PM, Matt Moore wrote:

        Hello,

        I find myself scheduled to give a talk to a group of library degree students on information organisation that I last gave a year ago. I am reviewing what I did last year and I am tempted to throw the whole lot out. I am also conscious that a recent job change has reduced my exposure to this stuff.

        So I thought I would ask this group. What's changed in the world of information management & taxonomies in the last 12 months (both for you personally and the world in general) and what hasn't?

        Regards,

        Matt

      • Matt Moore
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 19, 2013
          Donna,

          Very true. People now know the word "metadata" but I wonder how deep that understanding goes? Do they know that metadata is everywhere? Does it make them more likely to pay attention to it?

          Cheers,

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 19, 2013
            Patrick,

            Interesting comments. These developments are being leveraged by the large web properties (Google, Facebook, and if you'd put them in this category, Microsoft). Are similar approaches being used by smaller entities?

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 22, 2013
              Graph-based approaches show off best on very large scales, which is why I think they are starting there. Google is the best shop window you could imagine for both back end architecture and presentation layer, which is why I think this is going to be a biggie. I think a convergence with "big data" is quite likely, and there will be a trickledown effect as they take hold. This is a Watch This Space item.

              Best

              Partner
              Tel: +65 62210383

              On Sep 20, 2013, at 1:56 PM, Matt Moore wrote:

              Patrick,

              Interesting comments. These developments are being leveraged by the large web properties (Google, Facebook, and if you'd put them in this category, Microsoft). Are similar approaches being used by smaller entities?

              Regards,

              Matt

              Mainstreaming of knowledge graphs, graph-based search, Google's index cards

              Partner
              Tel: +65 62210383

              <SKlogo10anniv150.jpg>

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 28, 2013
                Patrick,

                "Big data" - call the buzzword police...

                I think you are right. Given that a lot of the big data infrastructure (Hadoop, MapReduce) emerged from Google (or firms like it) in the first place, it wouldn't be surprising for graph-based approaches and big data to converge.

                Altho some of this stuff is starting to leak into the enterprise via GSA and (I suspect) the successors to FAST. Google make a big deal of their web search experience informing the GSA product (altho it 's hard to know how true much of this is given the opaque nature of tool).

                Regards,

                Matt

                Graph-based approaches show off best on very large scales, which is why I think they are starting there. Google is the best shop window you could imagine for both back end architecture and presentation layer, which is why I think this is going to be a biggie. I think a convergence with "big data" is quite likely, and there will be a trickledown effect as they take hold. This is a Watch This Space item.

                Best

                Partner
                Tel: +65 62210383

                website: www.straitsknowledge.comweblog: www.greenchameleon.com