Re: [TaxoCoP] Incorporating uncertainties into ontologies...

  • Keipat Patkei
    Message 1 of 11 , May 30 3:24 PM
      Marijane,

      Thanks a lot for bringing topic maps and scope to my attention.  Great input and much appreciated.

      Keith

      Message 2 of 11 , May 31 7:52 AM
        Keith,

        Sorry if this is blatantly obvious. It seems ontology efforts ignore existing solutions in the spectrum of knowledge organization systems. Scope Notes have long been a basic element of thesaurus construction and one of the things that, according to Z39.19, take thesauri beyond the simpler taxonomies. Scope Notes clarify how a term is to be interpreted for your project, if it could have another meaning in another context. Another differentiator, Related Terms also reflect intended meaning. And business rules for interpreting and applying the term to content for classification add another layer of control.

        As for the term selection, ultimately the person managing the vocabulary must make settle the squabble and make the decision. Good luck on that!

        Alice

        --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Keipat Patkei <keipat1962@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for reading this. I hope members of this community might be able to point me to some online responses related to how one goes about "incorporating uncertainties" into ontologies when domain experts are in disagreement regarding the terms, relationships, assertions, and so on that should be part of them.  How does one deal with this and does it lend itself to building "probabilistic ontologies?"
        >
        > I'm sort of stuck in thinking that the general approach to handling this is through consensus building, governance, ontology mapping, use of thesauri, and, perhaps, leveraging PR-OWL (I have very limited knowledge of it, and I suspect it isn't applicable.)  Any thoughts on this?  I don't mind being told I'm way off base here.  Please advise and thanks to all.
        >
        > Keith DeWeese

      • Bob DuCharme

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3, 2013
            Hi Alice,

            Thanks a lot for your response.  I understand what you mean regarding existing solutions.  There isn't a vocabulary to manage yet, but when there is, I'll be ready!  Thanks, again.

            Keith

            Sorry if this is blatantly obvious. It seems ontology efforts ignore existing solutions in the spectrum of knowledge organization systems. Scope Notes have long been a basic element of thesaurus construction and one of the things that, according to Z39.19, take thesauri beyond the simpler taxonomies. Scope Notes clarify how a term is to be interpreted for your project, if it could have another meaning in another context. Another differentiator, Related Terms also reflect intended meaning. And business rules for interpreting and applying the term to content for classification add another layer of control.

            As for the term selection, ultimately the person managing the vocabulary must make settle the squabble and make the decision. Good luck on that!

            Alice

            --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Keipat Patkei <keipat1962@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for reading this. I hope members of this community might be able to point me to some online responses related to how one goes about "incorporating uncertainties" into ontologies when domain experts are in disagreement regarding the terms, relationships, assertions, and so on that should be part of them.  How does one deal with this and does it lend itself to building "probabilistic ontologies?"
            >
            > I'm sort of stuck in thinking that the general approach to handling this is through consensus building, governance, ontology mapping, use of thesauri, and, perhaps, leveraging PR-OWL (I have very limited knowledge of it, and I suspect it isn't applicable.)  Any thoughts on this?  I don't mind being told I'm way off base here.  Please advise and thanks to all.
            >
            > Keith DeWeese

          • Keipat Patkei
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 4, 2013
              Thanks, Bob.  Much appreciated.

              Keith

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 14, 2013
                Keith,

                Very good question and equally good responses on this thread.

                Ontologies are potentially very complicated. It's easy to find yourself treading down a path of attempting to categorize all things to all people completely.

                Taking a step back, I have to agree with the opinion that you must carefully scope your vocabulary and then use designated sources (Library of Congress, subject matter expert sources, even Merriam-Webster for straightforward concepts) to define your terms with some consistency. Ontologies are part of the larger definition of "controlled vocabularies" after all, so keep it controlled. Adding too much ambiguity and potential for uncertainties makes the results uncertain, in my opinion.

                You might want to consider your corpus to which this vocabulary will be applied (if it is to be applied to content). Try using some of the fancy text mining tools with good semantic capabilities and attempt to discover where these ambiguities exist and then define or redefine your terms as necessary. This is no small task, but it might be worth the effort.

                I think I'm simplifying a potentially hugely philosophical and complicated issue, but, at the end of the day, you probably have a job to do and need a more practical answer!

                Good luck!

                Ahren