Taxonomy Webinar: Best Practices for Classifying Enterprise Information - Registration Deadline Apr. 19th

  • George Peckham-Rooney
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 17, 2013
      The Taxonomy Division has several upcoming programs through our webinar series in addition to in-person events at SLA Annual in San Diego. (Our no-host dinner in San Diego is open to anybody who is interested and is a great networking opportunity.) The deadline for registering for the latest webinar and for the discounted  registration rate SLA annual is April 19th.

      April Taxonomy Division Webinar (Registration Ends April 19th at 8:00 pm EST)

      Title: Best Practices for Classifying Enterprise Information
      Time: April 25, 2013, 1:00-2:00 pm (EST)
      Audience: Novice to Expert
      Cost:  FREE to Taxonomy Division members (
      $15.00 for SLA members and $50.00 for non-SLA members)
      IBM has undertaken a multi-year effort to improve the integration and delivery of its web content by improving the management of classification metadata and of the underlying ontologies. This effort builds on existing best practices for managing classification metadata, as well as on best practices for managing taxonomies and ontologies.

      This session will focus on describing these best practices, with an emphasis on how existing systems can gracefully implement these best practices. Ralph Tamlyn will discuss:
      • Managing and publishing taxonomies, ontologies, and user-facing hierarchies as a cohesive set of reference data.
      • Managing classification metadata in the systems using the taxonomies and ontologies; and at the interfaces between systems
      • Objective metrics for taxonomies, ontologies, and classification metadata
      • Tradeoffs between ideal leaps forward and the reality of small steps based on priorities, limited funding, and organizational adoption.

      About the Presenter:
      Ralph Tamlyn is currently lead taxonomist for IBM’s CIO Enterprise Solutions and Web Enablement team. In that role, he is responsible for unifying IBM taxonomies for all internal and external web content. He and his teammates are also responsible for establishing the larger strategy to develop processes, governance, and tools.

      Taxonomy Programs and Networking Opportunities in San Diego 2013

      We have a full-day Continuing Education Workshop on Introduction to Taxonomy, several conference programs and networking opportunities, including a no-host dinner that is open to anybody in the area who is interested. For details, see our wiki, and for information on conference registration, please see the SLA website.

      About Taxonomy Division:
      The Taxonomy Division addresses ways to organize and structure information so that content is accessible and useful. It offers a practical context for exploring issues and sharing experiences related to planning, creating and maintaining taxonomies, thesauri, authority files, and other controlled vocabularies and information structures. If you are interested in learning more about the division or joining us, please check out our website, where we have information about upcoming events.