Reminder: ISKO UK Biennial Conference 8/9 July. Early Bird discount ends this month

  • Frances Huckle
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9 1:54 PM

      Remember to book a place at our July conference before the end of April, i.e. while early bird rates apply. Details are given below or just go straight to http://www.iskouk.org/conf2013/programme.htm and choose the "Registration" button to make a booking.

      The theme is: *Knowledge Organization - Pushing the Boundaries*

      Knowledge Organization (KO) is not just a fascinating research domain to attract our foremost thinkers; it also presents practical challenges to each of us as individuals, sorting out the files on our desktops physical and virtual, searching for inspiration via the Internet, or participating in the fora of social media. But there’s a paradox: while KO practices permeate society, the name “Knowledge Organization” is known only to a few. Invisible boundaries separate KO researchers from the practitioners who could benefit from their findings, and also come between distinct fields of application such as records management, web design, librarianship, information retrieval, etc.

      This conference aims to explore such boundaries, challenge them and advance our thinking into new territory. It will be the third biennial conference of the UK Chapter of ISKO. Practitioners as well as theoreticians are invited to attend and participate, along with consultants, researchers, teachers and students. There will be a mix of short and longer presentations, as well as a display of posters. The papers submitted will be peer-reviewed and published electronically on this website, together with slides and audio recordings.

      More details, including the provisional programme, can be found on the conference website at <http://www.iskouk.org/conf2013/index.htm>. 33 Presentations are scheduled, including keynote addresses from leading lights Patrick Lambe and Martin White. Two of the sessions will be co-organized by our sister associations, UKeiG and LIRG respectively. We're expecting a good number of posters too, and will be encouraging the vendors of relevant software applications, products and services to support the conference by exhibiting their wares.

      Registration fees for the two-day event are still the same as for our

      2011 conference, just

      180 pounds (full price)

      150 pounds (ISKO members)

      150 pounds (early-bird rate, until 30 April)

      130 pounds (early-bird rate for ISKO members)

      Members of UKeiG and/or LIRG will be entitled to the same rates as ISKO members.

      Still hesitating? Take a look at the electronic proceedings of our first and second biennial conferences at http://www.iskouk.org/conf2009/proceedings.htm and http://www.iskouk.org/conf2011/programme.htm respectively. The 2013 event will be bigger and better than either of these, and we hope you will be able to come and enjoy it.

      Conference hashtag #ISKOUK2013

      Fran Huckle

      Secretary

      ISKO UK