Webinar on Enterprisie Metadata
- Title: Best Practices for Classifying Enterprise InformationTime: April 25th, 2013 1:00-2:00 pm (EST)
Audience: Entry-level to Expert
Cost: FREE to Taxonomy Division members ($15.00 for SLA members, and $50.00 for non-SLA members)
IBM has undertaken a multi-year effort to improve the integration and delivery of its web content by improving the management of classification metadata and of the underlying ontologies. This effort builds on existing best practices for managing classification metadata, as well as on best practices for managing taxonomies and ontologies.
This session will focus on describing these best practices, with an emphasis on how existing systems can gracefully implement these best practices. Ralph Tamlyn will discuss:
- Managing and publishing taxonomies, ontologies, and user-facing hierarchies as a cohesive set of reference data.
- Managing classification metadata in the systems using the taxonomies and ontologies; and at the interfaces between systems
- Objective metrics for taxonomies, ontologies, and classification metadata
- Tradeoffs between ideal leaps forward and the reality of small steps based on priorities, limited funding, and organizational adoption.
About the Presenter:
Ralph Tamlyn is currently lead taxonomist for IBM’s CIO Enterprise Solutions and Web Enablement team. In that role, he is responsible for unifying IBM taxonomies for all internal and external web content. He and his teammates are also responsible for establishing the larger strategy to develop processes, governance, and tools.About the Taxonomy Division:Special Note: If you have enjoyed our webinar series the Taxonomy Division is hosting an excellent array of sessions (including a continuing education event) at the 2013 SLA annual conference this year (full information here). Also, if you haven't registered for the conference yet the Early Bird registration period ends April 12th.