New year, new book

  • Tony Russell-Rose
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2013
      Happy New Year!

      I thought some folk here might be interested in the following book, which we've just published through Elsevier. A brief summary is appended below, but if you'd like to see more (including a free sample chapter), see http://designingthesearchexperience.com/

      Tony

      Designing the Search Experience: the Information Architecture of Discovery
      by Tony Russell-Rose and Tyler Tate

      Search is not just a box and ten blue links. Search is a journey: an exploration where what we encounter along the way changes what we seek. But in order to guide people along this journey, we must understand both the art and science of search.

      WHAT YOU’LL LEARN

      Designing the Search Experience weaves together the theories of information seeking with the practice of user interface design. This definitive guide will enable you to:

      * Understand how people search and how the concepts of information seeking, information foraging, and sensemaking underpin the search process.
      * Apply the principles of user-centred design to the search box, search results, faceted navigation, mobile interfaces, social search, and much more.
      * Design the cross-channel search experiences of tomorrow that span desktop, tablet, mobile, and other devices.

      TABLE OF CONTENTS:

      SECTION 1: A FRAMEWORK FOR SEARCH & DISCOVERY
      Chapter 1: The User
      Chapter 2: Information Seeking
      Chapter 3: Context
      Chapter 4: Modes of Search & Discovery

      SECTION II: DESIGN SOLUTIONS
      Chapter 5: Formulating the Query
      Chapter 6: Displaying and Manipulating Results
      Chapter 7: Faceted Search
      Chapter 8: Mobile Search
      Chapter 9: Social Search

      SECTION III: DESIGNING THE FUTURE
      Chapter 10: Cross-Channel Information Interaction

      Includes contributed pieces from Ann Blandford, Karen Church, Rory Hamilton, James Kalbach, Joe Lamantia, Greg Nudelman, Lou Rosenfeld, Ian Ruthven, Daniel Tunkelang and Martin White.

      "In Designing the Search Experience, Tony Russell-Rose and Tyler Tate provide a unique synthesis that integrates scholarly research and best practice into a compelling story about how we can make search better". Peter Morville, author of Search Patterns: Design for Discovery

      "This book is not only useful for people interested in search, but for all user experience and interface designers". Ricardo Baeza-Yates, author of Modern Information Retrieval