Re: [TaxoCoP] Re: number of terms per taxonomist

  • Fran Alexander
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 22, 2012
      Hi Karen

      In the BBC Archive we have a Taxonomy Team comprising a Taxonomy Manager (me), a Senior Taxonomist, and two junior Taxonomists, as well as a couple of taxonomists who are not officially part of the team but look after our Natural History taxonomy amongst other work. There's an IT support team.

      When we have projects - such as our current taxonomy revision project - we can draw on members of other teams. At the moment we have 4.6 FTE from the cataloguing team helping us out for one year.

      In total, we have 2.7 million concepts in about 20 taxonomies, but 1.7 million of those are flat keywords used for tagging legacy content that we are leaving pretty much alone at the moment. Our Natural History taxonomy has some 150,000 preferred and 200,000 non-preferred terms. Our core Subject taxonomy has about 500,000 preferred and 350,000 non-preferred terms.

      There are lots of taxonomies in other departments of the BBC that we do not manage, and even some within the Archive itself (we are not managing the Written Archive's or the Photo Library's taxonomies, for example).

      The Public-facing Website teams have lots of Data Managers and Information Architects who develop and curate their ontologies and taxonomies but do other things as well. There are also people across the business who manage taxonomies on the Intranet, and for general business systems too.

      All the best

      Fran