RE: Drupal taxonomy classifier

  • Arik R. Johnson
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2005
      Thanks for the warm welcome - Christine and Seth - I pasted in your replies
      below and will respond to both herein.

      Christine: It's great to hear somebody else with an interest in the same
      application platform - while there are myriad Drupal discussions going on,
      not so much on the taxonomy side of things among zealots from the taxo
      community - at least that I can find. That said, I think it's a powerful
      (and differentiating, at least among the open source offerings) capability
      within community and content management systems that is probably nowhere
      near reaching its full potential. Within my area of competitive
      intelligence, it's a fascinating subject that, frankly, I sort of stumbled
      over in trying to upgrade our client extranet to Drupal 4.6.3. Will keep you
      posted on our progress - especially now that we've hired a new CTO to
      spearhead the implementation.

      Seth: Glad we could connect again, though it's truly not as shadowy a world
      as you might imagine - I serve on SCIP's board of directors (www.scip.org)
      and I'm chairing program committee for the next annual conference in Orlando
      and have rarely met anyone in the field who's shell can't be broken. ;-)
      That said, it's a "need-to-know" profession where the power of a knowledge
      gap is often the only element separating success from failure - people are
      guarded in what they say, because they're cautious in safeguarding their
      organization's proprietary information. That said, we live today in a world
      of unparalleled transparency, so many of those old rules are, at long last,
      changing.

      The taxonomy classifier in Drupal is sort of a low-hanging-fruit opportunity
      for us, as you observe - it doesn't require us to make big changes to fit
      the application but it delivers capabilities that are only found in much
      larger commercial applications that require months of professional services
      for implementation, chiefly due to the taxonomy at the core. I'm writing a
      CI software review now that we'll make available free before year's end (an
      update from our 2004 version), where the taxonomy is a key component of many
      of the systems. And, in terms of user interaction, that's the big appeal in
      Drupal - users DON'T have to interact with it - it's transparent from their
      point of view, but almost breathtakingly simple and powerful in its ability
      to organize information for those - as Christine pointed out. No flaming
      hoops to jump through means users don't have to be compelled to participate.

      Anyhow, as regards your other questions, I honestly must say, I have no
      idea. But in deploying this app for our purposes, exploring the taxonomy
      tools will be a great part of the discovery process - one I'll be sure to
      share with the group here.

      Best wishes,

      - Arik

      Arik Johnson
      Managing Director
      Aurora WDC

      | Arik R. Johnson | arik.johnson@...
      | Aurora WDC | http://www.AuroraWDC.com
      | Recon Competitive Intelligence Solutions
      | vox: 715.720.1616 | fax: 715.720.9650

      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 08:51:31 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Christine Connors <CJMConnors@...>
      Subject: Re: Introduction

      Arik -

      Replying to this has been haunting me - sorry I didn't
      get to it sooner!

      I am using Drupal ->at HOME<- in preparation for
      launching a public site (no, not another
      IA/Taxonomy/Metadata place; a place for my family to
      virtually gather as we geographically drift further
      apart.)

      You can do polyhierarchies, which I like. I also like
      that you can dynamically generate content using the
      method: my.site.com/taxonomy/term1+term2. Another
      thing you can do is add the Section module to use a
      different theme (look and feel) for each taxonomy node
      or node intersection.

      I am still learning it, and there are modules I've
      downloaded and not fiddled with yet, such as the
      folksonomy module. Please let us know what you find
      out - it's a great tool, and not too hard to learn.

      Cheers!
      Christine

      --- "Arik R. Johnson" <arik.johnson@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi all - just signed up for the taxonomy group
      > because we're hip-deep in
      > building a best-practice-based competitive
      > intelligence extranet for our
      > clients based on the Drupal (www.drupal.org) Open
      > Source CMS and at the core
      > is a taxonomy classifier, so I need to learn as much
      > as possible about the
      > field as applied within the practice of competitive
      > intelligence in order to
      > maximize the benefits of this platform.
      >
      > Of course, unsolicited advice is hereby solicited
      > and most welcome, so any
      > tips, pointers and/or key success factor strategies
      > related - even
      > tangentially - to this area is greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Best wishes for now,
      >
      > - Arik
      >
      > Arik Johnson
      > Managing Director
      > Aurora WDC

      > | Arik R. Johnson | arik.johnson@...
      > | Aurora WDC | http://www.AuroraWDC.com
      > | Recon Competitive Intelligence Solutions
      > | vox: 715.720.1616 | fax: 715.720.9650

      Message: 12
      Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 00:51:32 -0400
      From: "Seth Earley" <seth@...>
      Subject: RE: Drupal taxonomy classifier

      Well, hello again. Your name sounded familiar but I could not place the
      context. I googled you and came across a picture and then the pieces fell
      into place. You are in the area of Competitive Intelligence... I recall
      you would not tell me much about your business. (I told you about the
      meeting I once went to of the Society for Competitive Intelligence. Tough
      place to make chit chat. The innocent bon mot about where someone worked or
      what they did brought on narrowed eyes of suspicion
      (Ah ha! An industrial spy! What better place to disguise themselves than
      here!) <smile> ) Some paranoids in the profession I imagine... :-) Sorry,
      a little off topic there...

      I am doing a research report on taxonomy management tools. I am currently
      on an evaluation of tools for a couple of clients, but Drupal was not on my
      radar. I am passing that on to my lead technical evaluator to take a look.

      The challenge, as Tony Byrne says, is "fitness to purpose". Once size never
      fits all. It is very seductive to look at capabilities (and in some cases,
      when processes are not well defined that is fine), and the question becomes,
      do you need those capabilities? Are they appropriate? As long as your
      business does not have to make big changes to fit into the application -
      or - you are interested in making big changes and figure why not let someone
      else do all the heavy lifting and figure that tough process stuff out.

      At the end of the day, users need to interact with something - an
      application. But the devil is in the details. What looks appropriate at
      first glance will have some warts. But those may not be significant enough
      to impact the choice.

      Of course one problem with open source is getting support and access to best
      practices. Have you connected with anyone who has used the classifier? Can
      you explain (as best you understand)) how it functions and what it does?
      Does it cluster content and apply metadata? Do you supply categories or
      does it cluster results and nominate the categories? (Which will always
      require intervention.) Is it a rules based classifier that you can twist the
      knobs and turn the dials to tune your results? I imagine the tool has its
      own search engine. How does that integrate with the taxonomy tool?

      Perhaps it has the capability to manage thesaurus terms so you can do term
      expansion to improve recall and present related documents to improve
      precision...

      I'm interested in hearing more.

      Earley & Associates, Inc
      781-444-0287
      781-820-8080 cell
      Next taxo conference call October 26th, 2 PM EDT
      "Taxonomy Maturity Model"
      Registration and agenda at www.earley.com/events.htm