RE: [TaxoCoP] Taxonomy Mapping tools

  • Jim Tivy
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 24 2:35 PM

      Interesting problem.

      I was thinking of using synonyms.  But I would also like to stem (eg: phone and phones are treated the same) when I harvest meta data – would also like case insensitivity as well.

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 24 2:38 PM

        HI Jordan,

        We do some of that type of work on a services basis – don’t have any specific tools that we make available but would be happy to talk to you about it.

        Mark Leher

        I was thinking of using synonyms.  But I would also like to stem (eg: phone and phones are treated the same) when I harvest meta data – would also like case insensitivity as well.

        Does anyone have links to tools which can help with speeding up taxonomy mappings?
        identifying equivalent or near equivalent terms, etc?

        thanks,

        Jordan

      • Donna M. Fritzsche
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 24 3:08 PM
          Endeca can handle the stemming and allows you to enter synonyms, etc.

          - Donna

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 24 3:53 PM

            We have a Thesaurus tool that can do this – depends what you want.

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 24 4:31 PM
              Hi Jordan,

              You wrote

              Does anyone have links to tools which can help with speeding up taxonomy mappings?  identifying equivalent or near equivalent terms, etc?

              You may be interested in the system and examples online at the site below.

              In particular, the examples:

              www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/SemanticResolution1.agent

              www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/EntertainmentTaxonomy1.agent

              www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/GoogleYahooEbayTaxo1.agent

              Apologies if you have seen this before, and thanks for comments.

                                                                  -- Adrian

              Internet Business Logic
              A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English Q/A over SQL and RDF
              Online at www.reengineeringllc.com
              Shared use is free, and there are no advertisements

              Adrian Walker
              Reengineering

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 26 9:22 PM
                Jordan,

                Two issues--1, the tools to support the work of pulling together nonpreferred terms (synonyms, quasi synonyms, spelling variants, translations, initialisms/acronyms, etc.), and 2, the people to do the job.

                For tools, any good dedicated taxonomy management software should do the job. They may vary in terms of other features (customizable? support RTs? notes?) and how readily they can connect with a CMS, so ask carefully.

                For staff, depending on quantity of equivalence mappings to be established, you can do it with the right, efficient tool. For a large taxonomy, there are also service providers who are experienced and happy to help out.

                Since Endeca has been mentioned, consider Access Innovations for service and their Data Harmony software. (full disclosure: I work for Access and would be happy to help out.)
                --Alice

                --- In TaxoCoP@yahoogroups.com, Jordan Cassel <jordan_cassel@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > Does anyone have links to tools which can help with speeding up taxonomy mappings?
                > identifying equivalent or near equivalent terms, etc?
                >
                > thanks,
                >
                > Jordan

              • Jim Sweeney
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 27 8:15 AM
                  Hi Jordan,

                  I can provide a reference to a feature that my company Synaptica provides in its software called AutoMatch. Please feel free to contact me should you have any questions.

                  Jim Sweeney

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 27 8:58 AM
                    Hi Jordan,

                    Have you thought about using macros in Excel?  This link demonstrates a macro that does a pretty good job finding exact and close matches, it actually finds a match for everything and then you use a second macro to rank the match.

                    I've used it to match taxonomies before.  If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a note and I can walk you through the basic set-up.

                    Julie

                    To: taxocop@yahoogroups.com