Experience with Modeca

  • Scott Lawrence3
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 26, 2005
      Hello Everyone,

      I work for Bristol Myers Squibb where I am responsible for the development and maintenance of taxonomies.  Currently we have about 20 different taxonomies in palce, but managing them has becamoe a real nightmare. Therefore, we are in the process of evaluating enterprise capable thesaurus management tools for purchase in the near future.

      The other day I saw a demonstration of a software package used for, amoung other things, text mining, by a company called Temis (http://www.temis-group.com/).  Part of the 'package' was a taxomony tool called Mondeca.  The tool looked pretty good on first blush.  What I was wondering was does anyone in the COP have any experience with it?  And would you be willing to talk about your experiences with it?

      Any help would be much appreciated.

      Scott

      Scott Lawrence
      Manager, Vocbaulary Management Services
      Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
      Princeton, New Jersey 08543
      609.252.7439
      scott.lawrence@...

    • InfoPlex Associates
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 26, 2005
        Scott,

        I have worked with Mondeca and have seen their technology in action, although not the taxonomy tool you mention. I am very impressed with their technology and their high level of expertise. However it is not an off-the-shelf application. ITM (Intelligent Topic Manager) is a development environment based upon Java, Topic Maps, Web services, XML etc. which allows bespoke applications to be built for specific purposes. I know that Mondeca's ITM has been used to build a content management system for a large european publishing house (Wolters Kluwer) and by Lexis Nexis France

        The project I was involved in looked at using ITM to build a taxonomy/thesaurus and metadata management application and Jean Delahousse of Mondeca actually built a prototype as proof-of-concept. The client however, didn't go ahead with it, as they ran out of budget. Mondeca are based in Paris and you can learn more about them at http://www.mondeca.com/.

        In my opinion, Mondeca offer the highest degree of flexibility combined with future-proofing available, since their technologies are all based on the latest Web and XML standards. I am sure Jean would welcome you contacting him for a chat about your requirements. His email address is jean.delahousse@....

        Regards,

        Bob

        >>Principal
        Associate<<

      • Kathleen.a.ellis@att.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 26, 2005

          Scott,

          Since you manage vocabulary management services, would you mind sharing a job description for someone who builds taxonomies/vocabularies? Also, where does your department reside, within a library, an IT department or where?

          Kathy

          -------------- Original message from Scott Lawrence3 <taxogeek@...>: --------------